PDA

View Full Version : GDM configuration to hide a specific user group from Login Screen

ajamison
11th July 2008, 04:04 AM
I have searched till I am blue int he face and can not find out how to restrict users in a specific group from not showing up on the login screen. I have a few user accounts i created for a few various reasons and I would like to add these users to a group called loginhide and have that group be exempt from the users showing up on the login screen.

in Fedora 8 I could do this via the login configuration panel however I cannot find this in Fedora 9 anyone have any suggestions

marcrblevins
11th July 2008, 04:06 AM
Heard gdm sucks now, they changed alot! Moved on to kdm.

Wayne
11th July 2008, 04:08 AM
As has been mentioned many times in other threads, GDM is being rewritten and is not yet complete, so several features are still missing :( I think Leigh wrote a guide to backlevel GDM to the Fedora 8 version.

Wayne

ajamison
11th July 2008, 04:14 AM
Wow so one more incomplete thing shipped with Fedora 9 that makes 2 so far. I am seriously wondering why it was even included prior to completion.

Dies
11th July 2008, 04:43 AM
in Fedora 8 I could do this via the login configuration panel however I cannot find this in Fedora 9 anyone have any suggestions

Aside from re-compiling the source rpm ? no.

But if you're up for it let me know and I'll point you to the right file. ;)

joe.pelayo
14th June 2009, 06:08 AM
Any ideas of how to hide specific users in F11's GDM?

Thanks.
Joe.

andrewfossey
14th June 2009, 06:40 AM
Any ideas of how to hide specific users in F11's GDM?

Thanks.
Joe.

Try KDM instead as others have indicated GDM has been busted since F9 was released.

stevea
14th June 2009, 09:17 AM
AFAIK there is no intention for return functionality to gdm. You can read the 2.26 docs at the gnome/gdw webpage.

nckuhuahua
17th March 2010, 06:53 PM
You simply change the user's id to make it smaller than 1000

usermod -u UID username

ex

usermod -u 700 username

Dangermouse
17th March 2010, 07:01 PM
This isnt what you wanted but close
to hide all users

su
gconftool-2 --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --direct --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list trueto undo it

su
gconftool-2 --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --direct --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list falseIt used to work by putting a users with a uid/gid below 500 and above 100 , this will only work now if you disable selinux before making the user.

ajamison
18th March 2010, 04:51 AM
Is it possible to use KDM to login to GNOME then?

blueflame
7th April 2010, 07:16 AM
Perhaps another useful piece of information that will help somebody, is that if you change the user's login shell to /sbin/nologin it will not appear in the GDM list.

It helped me after installing Oracle Database XE and the install created a user named 'oracle' which showed up in the GDM list.

aleph
7th April 2010, 08:16 AM
Perhaps another useful piece of information that will help somebody, is that if you change the user's login shell to /sbin/nologin it will not appear in the GDM list.

It helped me after installing Oracle Database XE and the install created a user named 'oracle' which showed up in the GDM list.

Not only that, but the user won't be able to do anything useful as a human user either. The "nologin" shell is for "bot" users rather than humans (unless as a punishment).