PDA

View Full Version : Working with RAR files

Optimistic
19th July 2004, 05:52 AM
I have a folder with a bunch of rar files. How to I stick them all back togeather. Note: I do have RAR on my machine, just don't know how to use it.

foolish
19th July 2004, 06:09 AM
I don't fully understand, I guess you have a lot of rar files, and you only want a single one, with the content of all the files, if I'm mistaken I'm sorry, please clearify.

Rar files can be split into several smaller files, when you unrar them you only have to unrar one, and it will automatically get the contents of all the files that are linked.

First, unrar the files. The easiest way is to just right click the archive(s) and select "Extract here" in the file manger (nautilus). In the terminal you can use unrar x.

unrar x file.rar

Then you can create a new rar archive, but I would suggest that you'd use an easier to handle format, like tar.bz2. It offers as good compression, and it's much easier to handle.

The easiest way to do this is to open nautilus (the file manager), use the mouse and select all the files you want in your archive, right click and select "Create archive", when asked for name, enter whatever.tar.bz2.

If you really do need rar files, have a look at the rar manual for instructions on how to create rar archives.

man rar

kosmosik
19th July 2004, 06:09 AM
% unrar x file.rar

Optimistic
19th July 2004, 06:23 AM
Thanks foolish that worked quite nicely.