PDA

View Full Version : firewire (ieee1394) support in kernel?

monkotronic
18th July 2004, 07:41 AM
i'm using fc2t3 with kernel 2.6.5-1.327 and it does not have firewire compiled even as a module because of some boot issues. i heard this was fixed and want to know which kernel is the first to have firewire compiled in as modules for fedora core? did the final release of fc2 have it included? at present i recompiled my own kernel from my fc2t3 source with firewire modules. it works, but since i maintain my system with synaptic, i want a non-custom kernel. thanks in advance.

taylor65
19th July 2004, 03:07 AM
Both FC1 and FC2 have firewire support. It's turned off by default, however. Just add these lines in your /etc/rc.local and firewire will work fine:

/sbin/modprobe raw1394
/sbin/modprobe ohci1394
/sbin/modprobe video1394

monkotronic
19th July 2004, 01:35 PM
actually, while those three commands run fine on my custom kernel, they returned no such module errors on the stock test 3 kernel. i did read somewhere that booting issues were the reason they were omitted. anyway, i'm downloading the final release of fc2 tomorrow and will let this thread know if the modules are included. thanks for your attention.

taylor65
20th July 2004, 03:26 AM
I guess I assumed that you had switched to FC2 final once it was out. If you re-install FC2 final, you'll get no errors with those commands in /etc/rc.local.

monkotronic
22nd July 2004, 06:46 AM
thanks taylor...actually that answers my question. thanks again for your attention.

mankool
25th July 2004, 05:46 PM
I added those lines but ieee1394 does not work?? Anyway around this ?

superbnerd
25th July 2004, 05:55 PM
did modprobe return an error? and have you configured you fstab to mount the drive?

monkotronic
5th August 2004, 01:56 AM
ieee1394 is still not supported in the final release of fc2!!! dont know how you got it taylor! i just upgraded as you suggested and it aint there. throws a no such module error when you try to modprobe it and sure enough it aint in the modules directory either.

jrittvo
5th August 2004, 02:23 AM
It think what is happening is that the kernel upgrade installation only sets you up for and installs modules that you already have in the kernel set you are running at the time of the upgrade. When I make my own kernels, from the same source, I end up with a module library that is like triple the size of the stock Fedora one.

taylor65
5th August 2004, 02:53 AM
I installed FC2 final as a fresh install, and firewire works fine. If you did a fresh install, the only thing I can think of is that you're particular brand of firewire card isn't supported.