PDA

View Full Version : Why is everything locked?

mercury
18th July 2004, 03:53 AM
Hi!
I've got a drive called hdc3, and for some reason, every file on it has a yelllow lock emblem on it, if I browse with nautilus. I don't know what that means, but I cannot access those files, unless I am logged in as root. I could change permission of each file in root mode, but I've got a few thausand files on it, and therefore I cannot deal with each and everyone of them. So is there a way I could unlocked those files, so every user could access them?

George

ilja
18th July 2004, 03:54 AM
please post your /etc/fstab file. It seems it is a mount qustion.

mercury
18th July 2004, 04:47 AM
Well, it is a mount question, however, I did not mount hdc3 with fstab; I did it manually:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc3 /mnt/hdc3

By the way, the yellow locks were shown in FC3T1, now back in FC2, the emblems are red crossed pencils. Don't see, why they are different.

George

ilja
18th July 2004, 04:50 AM
the icon might change betwwen gnome 2.6 and 2.8
So you have to allow users to use it. There are 5 or 6 threads about it in the forum.

mercury
18th July 2004, 05:57 AM
True, but all of them are about mounting vfat or ntfs. The problem is, that none of the arguments that work with fat don't with ext3; umask=000, uid=500, gid=500 ........ - these are all invalid parameters/argumants for ext3 filesystem. So how do you set permissions for ext3?

ilja
18th July 2004, 06:09 AM
so, if the files are belonging to the root, you can't access them. You have to make a chown user:group filename to let an other user own the files or try to make chmod.

mercury
18th July 2004, 08:44 AM
Bingo! Chmod is what I needed. I edited fstab with options users,rw,exec and then changed permissions manually with:

chmod -R 777 hdc3

And bang! It worked! Thanks again for your effort,
Goerge

ilja
18th July 2004, 08:46 AM
777 is very dangerous!!! Maybe chown is a better idea!