PDA

View Full Version : Does Fedora have these Issues?

Yuki_Nagato
2nd July 2008, 04:21 AM
I have been knocking around with Ubuntu (Gutsy and Hardy) for a while now. Some large problems have come to my attention:

1) Ubuntu "eats" your hard drive unless you manually fix the cycle schedule.

2) Ubuntu does not wake up from sleep or suspend. And nobody seems to have any idea on how to fix this.

I am going to be installing Fedora 9 on a laptop soon, and I need to know of any large problems that I will need to fix.

forkbomb
2nd July 2008, 04:25 AM

What exactly do you mean by this?

2) Ubuntu does not wake up from sleep or suspend. And nobody seems to have any idea on how to fix this.

Will be hard to know without more hardware specs.

Find out your make, model, and hardware specs and do some Googling around.

Yuki_Nagato
2nd July 2008, 04:39 AM
Oh, do not worry about these problems. I have not installed yet. I only introduced these problems because they are serious issues on the Ubuntu OS. I was wondering if I should have a head up on anything over here in the Fedora Camp.

Chomp-Chomp (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/01/ubuntu_laptop_disk_issues/)

JN4OldSchool
2nd July 2008, 04:45 AM
Fedora 9 has its own list of troubles, but you never know what will hit you till you try it out on your hardware. A cursory glance through the help sections of this forum will show you the nature of these problems. Fedora is bleeding edge, even more so than Ubuntu, and 9 especially has been rough. That said, i am typing this from F9 and am 99.99% happy with this install now.

Just give it a try, if it isnt for you then you can always just move on. :) Most distros are free.

ppesci
2nd July 2008, 05:39 AM
Maybe you want install F8 instead because has less problems for now.

HTH

Dan
2nd July 2008, 06:15 AM
I have been knocking around with Ubuntu (Gutsy and Hardy) for a while now. Some large problems have come to my attention:

I am going to be installing Fedora 9 on a laptop soon, and I need to know of any large problems that I will need to fix.

1) Yes. There was a kernel issue (which spanned many distros) involving the HDD cycle rate. Search the forums here for the details.

2) UNknown, but there is a thread here specifically for laptops running fedora and the info you are after may well be gleaned from there.

Hope that helps..