PDA

View Full Version : Writer for OSJOURNAL.COM

ewdi
14th May 2004, 05:02 PM
Gareth and I will be starting a new linux and open source industry and application analysis.

If you are intrested in volunteering your time to write with us let us know, the generated advertising revenue (if any) will be split evenly between editors.

The site will be osjournal.com (open source journal)

email me at edwison@isp.admin.unt.edu if you are intrested in applying.

The requirement is for each of editors to write 1 article/week.

Ug
14th May 2004, 05:35 PM
We're trying to get this as serious as possible, so please don't waste our time. ;)

Pegasus
15th May 2004, 07:59 AM
Might be something for you:
Open Jounal System (http://www.pkp.ubc.ca/ojs/ , The University of British Columbia)

A good system to realise such publications.

kimatrix
15th May 2004, 10:18 AM
nice idea m8 i wish you good luck

ghaefb
15th May 2004, 11:44 AM
That would be great! osjournal.org would be better :)

ghenry
15th May 2004, 03:06 PM
I'd love too, but sadly, what with the baby coming and FedoraNEWS.org (been slow submitting lately what with the Aberdeen Linux Open Day 2 I have been organising http://www.aberdeen.lug.org.uk) I don't think I could manage 1 a week.

Maybe later though? :)

Ug
15th May 2004, 03:35 PM
Okie Dokie. ;)

ewdi
15th May 2004, 04:54 PM
yeah, volunteer writer can also use our submission form :)

crackers
15th May 2004, 06:27 PM
This may be a bit pedantic, but I hope y'all are keeping in mind that writing a Journal that you hope will generate ad revenue (and to be taken seriously by the "mainstream") requires extremely good writing skills -- and ones very different from posting on forums or doing "community" web sites. I'm talking about precise language, excellent grammar, and, above all else, perfect spelling. No "l33t" speak, no Usenet abbreviations (YMMV), ad nauseum.

Which means you will need to edit each and every article before it's posted. This is a lot of work.

I wish y'all all the luck, but just had to throw in a word of caution.

(Both of my parents were English teachers, BTW).

Ug
15th May 2004, 06:30 PM
I know about this, and i'm able to write in this way. I had an article printed on OSDir.com yesterday and was paid for it.

ThKruse
15th May 2004, 07:04 PM
We are running two journals with the named open jounal system.
We have also a ganesha system as bibliotheca server.

We use IEEE template format for submitted articels (1 col / 2 col)

If you have questions about authoring, editors, guidelines etc. don't hesitate to contact me.

Ug
15th May 2004, 08:35 PM
Tux has his own tried and tested system so we should be alright. ;)

ghenry
15th May 2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Ug
I know about this, and i'm able to write in this way. I had an article printed on OSDir.com yesterday and was paid for it.

Ah, but don't let it go to your head. Remain cool man!!! :D

crackers
15th May 2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Ug
I know about this, and i'm able to write in this way.

Just providing a Reality Check. I've seen lots of projects like this go by the wayside because of the "writtin' flaws." (That was on purpose.)

I had an article printed on OSDir.com yesterday and was paid for it.

Good for you! I'm helping another guy at work polish a real doozie for JDJ and have one brewing myself, although I'm not sure how the editors will react to a humor-based article (even though it does contain "anti-tips").

Ug
15th May 2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ghenry
Ah, but don't let it go to your head. Remain cool man!!! :D Go to my head. pfft. ;)