PDA

View Full Version : Cups fails to start after BrightQ installation

N715DP
17th July 2004, 09:04 AM
Hello everyone, first post here - awesome site.

I installed FC2 on my office desktop a few days ago and then installed BrightQ to interface to the Canon ImageRunner 5000 we have out on the network. (http://www.codehost.com/printers/linux_printing.php)

I ended up running into the same trouble I had with RH9.0 and BrightQ in that Cups fails to start after I reboot the machine. After completing the installation and setting up the printer, I am able to print, but as soon as I reboot I lose it. Attempting to start the BrightQ configuration or the FC2 Print Manager yields a "Cups Server Could Not Be Contacted" message.

Anyone have any ideas what would cause it to install and work fine until I reboot and then fail to work? Thanks in advance.

Ned
18th July 2004, 12:36 AM
Hey D, fancy bumping into you here :)

I have no idea to the answer to your problem, but lets try troubleshooting it. Sounds to be like something that should be running as a service isn't getting restarted after you reboot.

Try taking a shapshot of running processes with

ps ax

while it's working and then reboot and see what failed to start - might give you a clue where to go with this.

Ned

N715DP
18th July 2004, 03:50 AM
Heya Ned, funny who you just might run into around the net :)

I'll see what I can dig up when I get back to the office on Monday.

Ned
18th July 2004, 04:57 AM
Yes indeed. The are a few others you may know here to if you look around :)

Take care, and best wishes to the family

Ned

N715DP
20th July 2004, 03:17 AM
Well, oddly enough, I have it working now... just not perfectly. After a reboot, if I go into Print Manager, it comes up with "no printers are configured" and I click ok to launch the config utility. After entering the root pasword, all I have to do is click "apply" and it all of a sudden sees the printer and everything works without a problem... Cups doesn't start until I do the above steps. Once I have, cups is up and running without problem.

Very wierd.