PDA

View Full Version : Best DIstro For Program Compatability

Tracer
17th July 2004, 07:15 AM
More detailed, I need a distro that will build and run most programs with the least of trouble... I suppose im asking for the most popular build, since and comp. problems would be ironed our quick...

imdeemvp
17th July 2004, 07:42 AM
go back to windoz (just kidding) :eek: or stick with fedora and you will love it :D ....there is no easy distro..... windoz is easy to use but not stable enough.....linux stable but no easy to use....

here we just say BRING IT ON FEDORA.... :D

carbo18
17th July 2004, 07:58 AM
Windows does have the largest selection of shrink-wrapped (store-bought) applications. Linux as a whole has pretty much all the same amount of comparable applications except games of course. Game companies are starting to see a market for linux or at least for game that can run on any platform, like UT, RTCW, NWN...

For sure there will always be some teething problems with Linux... but then again there are with Windows as well... (Registry hell for one)...

I think if you stay with distributions that have a very active community like Fedora, Gentoo, Debian... You will always have someone willing to help you if you have any problems, for free, and you will probably find someone that will have compiled the application you are seeking to be compatible with your distribution, since most application have the source freely available in the Linux world :D

ilja
17th July 2004, 08:30 AM
*moved * to linux-chat

kosmosik
17th July 2004, 02:23 PM
More detailed, I need a distro that will build and run most programs with the least of trouble... I suppose im asking for the most popular build, since and comp. problems would be ironed our quick...
you've picked wrong forum. what answers you expect? :))) Fedora is best. really. cause:

1] Fedora is simply Red Hat - since Red Hat is the most popular distro thus most of software will work on Fedora (and I do not mean open source software since it will run on anything, but closed source commercial software).
2] Red Hat / Fedora has great backward compatibility. I still run software compiled on RHL 6.0 on my FC1.
3] Fedora is quite decent (meaning API/ABI) but if you need trully bleedin' edge stuff it is here, in Fedora developement tree...

just try Fedora or maybe Gentoo Linux. I think this is the best choice considering software compatibility. Fedora/RHL for de facto standard, Gentoo for flexibility.

Tracer
17th July 2004, 05:11 PM
Thats it... im sold on Fedora...

ilja
17th July 2004, 08:58 PM
ok moved one more time :D