PDA

View Full Version : After a resize, the partition is fixed at 0 bytes free

ahvi
24th June 2008, 11:59 PM
So I resized my ext3 partition successfully. It is on a separate Sata drive from my main system. GParted shows 7 free GiB's, but regardless of whether I remove information from the drive or not, it remains fixed at Free Space: 0 bytes. The resize seems to have been completed successfully, but I'm stuck baffled without a solution. Thanks for any help.

Update: On closer inspection, I think anything deleted is being recognized as unallocated space in the beginning of the drive. Very weird. Here's a pic. (http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2042/screenshotdevsdagpartedzx2.png)

ahvi
25th June 2008, 04:50 PM
So I combined the ext3 partition with the unallocated space at the beginning of the drive. Now it's showing over 7 GiBs of unused space in GParted, but still 0 bytes free in Nautilus. However, now when I delete things from the drive, they do show up as free space in Nautilus. There is still about 7GiBs that are not accounted for? Maybe I'll try to compress the partition down alloting those free GiBs to unallocated space and then expanding it. All the data on the partition seems to be OK and I'd like to keep it that way.

JohnVV
25th June 2008, 07:18 PM
you need to format the unallocated space to ext3 , from the screen shot there is NO file system there

ahvi
26th June 2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the response John. I think I figured it out. It looks like ext3 reserves 5% of the size of the drive for anti-fragmentation purposes. I didn't realize this, but appreciate the structure.