PDA

View Full Version : disabling thumbnails caching

bee
24th June 2008, 11:20 PM
How do i disable that thumbnails caching?
I like viewing thumbnails of images and videos... but how do i disable the caching of those files in my /home/bee/.thumbnails/ directory?
there are a way to disabling it and/or to limit the MAX size of thumbnails?

thanks. bye :)

Seve
24th June 2008, 11:33 PM
Hello:
In Nautilus

Edit/
Preferences/
Preview/
Show thumbnails:
Never

Only for files smaller than: [to set you size options]

You may have to restart your Xserver or reboot to see the effect, I'm not sure.

Seve

bee
24th June 2008, 11:51 PM
yes, i knew that....
but:
i don't want to disable thumbnails....i want only disable thumbnails caching (aka: don't save thumbnails images in my /home/bee/.thumbnails/ directory). :)

bee
2nd July 2008, 01:00 PM
I still have the problem and have searched Google. The only message i've found was this one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=226995
but in this way i can disable thumbnails caching only from one software(gthumb), and it's the one i don't need. I need GNOME (and Eye Of Gnome)! Because is GNOME that is caching images! Can anyone think of something else to try?

PabloTwo
2nd July 2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds to me like you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. You want to view thumbnails but you don't want them to exist. Yes, I supose they could exist only in memory, but that's not how the system works. When they are created, they are written as files to your /home/username/.thumbnails/normal directory.

My suggestion would be to think of that thumbnail cache the same as you would think of your browser cache. Don't want them there? Well, then clear the cache. You could create a Desktop item, that when double clicked, executed a command to wipe that directory clean. Or, you could add a command line to do the same to /etc/init.d/rc.local, wihich will erase all files in that thumbnails directory on each bootup. Deleting the .thumbnails direcotry itself, including all files within, will work also, as that directory will be created anew the next time Gnome, or a program, wants to use it.

bee
3rd July 2008, 11:01 AM
well, it's a workaround ... not really the answer i would heard :p :p
with browsers you can limit the max cache to some MB... but it's not possible in GNOME.... and pages viewed by SSL connection are never saved in the cache, because of obvious security reasons...
So, if there is possible having a cake and eat it... maybe it's the same with my question. Just need somebody that know how to do it! :D at the moment i'm doing exactly with you said... rm -rf... but that's not really good, this is why i wish to know how to disable that thumbnails caching... and live happily with my sweet cake :D ;)