PDA

View Full Version : No 8-bit color option?

chemistry
24th June 2008, 04:17 PM
Morning to y'all...

I've been using Fedora Core 2 for a long time, since it ran all of my programs without any significant problems.

I've built a new system, and installed Fedora Core 8 on it, and it can run all of my programs, except one, which requires that I run it in 8 bit color mode (256 colors). On FC2, I could simply switch to 256 colors using the System's Display settings, but on FC8, I noticed that there is no longer any option to quickly switch to 256 colors.

Is there a way to restore this functionality?

Thanks in advance!

Hlingler
24th June 2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think that there's an "easy" way using the GUI utility - I'm guessing the vast majority of users would not even consider running 8-bit color depth ?

You have not stated what graphics hardware and software you're running. Most or all of the open-source video drivers that are included in Fedora should support 8 bpp color depth. You can manually edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and specify 8 bpp color - replace 'Depth 16[24]' with 'Depth 8'.

V

P.S. You would have to re-start the X-server for this change to take effect (logout of desktop, then: ALT-CTL-Backspace).

chemistry
24th June 2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the fast response, and even more thanks for the info.

I decided to create a simple executable that does a quick edit of the xorg.conf file using the settings you showed, and the display can be quickly restored via GUI to 16 or 24 bit color.

Yeah, you're right, that hardly anyone in his right mind would ever use 256 color mode, but there's a program critical to my work that will only run in 8 bit color.