PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 Update System doesn't update

SBader
24th June 2008, 07:27 AM
The title said it all. I use the terminal, yum update and it does a complete job. The Graphical interface Update System under System; Administration reports available updates but stays inactive after I click on Apply Updates. It reflects the updates done by YUM; it does not show the previous list as available when it is refreshed but does not credit the update to itself as it says last update: over a week ago, and the history is empty, since this started right after Fed 9 was installed.
The terminal trip is no problem, but it would be useful to learn how to fully activate the graphical interface.
Cheers :)

MarcoP
24th June 2008, 02:07 PM
Quick by command line

$ su -
$ yum clean all
$ yum update

JN4OldSchool
24th June 2008, 02:15 PM
The title said it all. I use the terminal, yum update and it does a complete job. The Graphical interface Update System under System; Administration reports available updates but stays inactive after I click on Apply Updates. It reflects the updates done by YUM; it does not show the previous list as available when it is refreshed but does not credit the update to itself as it says last update: over a week ago, and the history is empty, since this started right after Fed 9 was installed.
The terminal trip is no problem, but it would be useful to learn how to fully activate the graphical interface.
Cheers :)

I would yum remove packagemanager and yum install yumex. You will no longer have automatic updates, but I have found that in Fedora (unlike most other distros) you will have major updates every other to every third day. So just manually run yum update from the command line a couple times a week, or open yumex to see what is available. Otherwise, Murphy's law dictates that every single time you want to use Yum packagemanager will be running.

MarcoP
24th June 2008, 02:30 PM
@JN4OldSchool: I agree, packagemanager is still installed but I've removed the auto update from my session. Unable to use Yum Extender (yumex) or yum by command line whenever I wanted to was pretty annoying.

SBader
25th June 2008, 05:54 AM
Thank you 2 people. The problems u mention don't apply. No Automatic update. Packagemanager collects updates info and presents them very quick. After that I use yum install which does what I want, installs all available updates. I'm trying in my ignorant way to get package manager to actually "Apply Updates". Can I do yum remove package manager and then yum install package manager??

Astrals
27th June 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi all, I have just set fedora os on my mates system and I was also having this problem with it, especially hard for me because I'm really new to linux (yep noob).
I just had to share this because it worked for me so here it is.
Terminal
su -
yum install unrar
It did not install unrar but installed something else witch I did not get the name of (sorry) but I think it needed it for unrar, then I rebooted and then the updates were working for that system.
I know this sounds bizarre but it fixed the problem.
If anyone can explain this I think it would help us beginners out alot.
I tried this to see if it would install unrar even though updates were not working, worth a try all in the name of learning.

SBader
1st July 2008, 04:36 PM
About unrar fixing update glitch, ??? didn't work for me, dear Oz, but my Fedora just produced a bug report which I'm sure deals with the same problem. Orders me to save it and submit it...where?? I thought, the admin, at this forum. Cheers