PDA

View Full Version : How to Telnet in Fedora from XP laptop

Sport86522
23rd June 2008, 03:53 PM
I am pretty new when it comes with Fedora, I am trying to connect through telnet. I tried telnet and ip and can't get connection. Can anyone tell me what I need to or any suggestion of things to try.

thanks for your time

notageek
23rd June 2008, 04:13 PM
You need telnet server running, in Fedora telnet server is managed by xinetd. The configuration file of telnet is at the following location

/etc/xinetd.d/telnet

The configuration would look something like this.

service telnet
{
flags = REUSE
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
log_on_failure += USERID
disable = no
}

(You need telnet-server installed to be able to try this, yum install telnet-server)
Start xinetd service to get telnet server running, then you may telnet to the box running telnet-server.

However a more secure mode of remote connection is ssh and can be started by running the following command

# service sshd start
To ssh to the box running ssh daemon, try

# ssh user@ip_address
User is optional, and takes root by default if you ignore it.

PabloTwo
23rd June 2008, 04:37 PM
To use ssh from a Windows machine, you'll need to install putty.exe. Google for it.

Sport86522
23rd June 2008, 05:39 PM
when typing those commands i get no dir found

notageek
23rd June 2008, 05:45 PM
To edit the file located in /etc/xinetd.d/telnet try

# su -
# yum install telnet-server
# gedit /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
# service xinetd start

For ssh server

# service sshd start

cicatrix1
23rd June 2008, 10:44 PM
Just to reiterate, telnet is NOT secure and should not be used. SSH is secure and should be supported out of the box. I wouldn't waste time editing configs to get telnet to work, but instead work on getting SSH working.

pparks1
23rd June 2008, 11:27 PM
when typing those commands i get no dir found

That's because xinetd isn't installed by default on Linux machines. Do yourself a favor and switch over to SSH. It's already turned on, it's secure and putty is free on Windows.

Sport86522
24th June 2008, 03:50 PM
thanks for the help, i was able to get in

A.Serbinski
24th June 2008, 04:52 PM
Though telnet is not secure, it is fine for use within a secure network. If your network is secure from the outside world, telnet is cheaper on resources than ssh since it doesn't perform any (en/de)cryption. The other advantage to it is if your client machine runs the monopolistic proprietary operating system, then it already contains a suitable telnet client.

Whatever you do, do NOT use telnet over an unsecure network since anyone listening in will see your username and password in plain text, and if you ever su, they will see the root password as well.

tonypmartin
25th June 2008, 12:31 PM
from windows, I use putty and Winscp, - they make a great combination. Winscp is even much faster than using Nautilus across the network. Which also leads me to ask just why Nautilus has become so slow. It can barely open folders on the local machine with large number of files at all!!

Tonypm