PDA

View Full Version : using yum to install dvd packages

uthpalawe
23rd June 2008, 01:27 PM
hi,
I have a fresh Fedora 8 installation in a offline machine and I want to install packages from the the installation DVD. I was able to do so using Pirut, but I could not do it using yum. For example when I type yum install mysql it comes up with a error saying no match.
I found out that Pirut is just a front end for yum and amazed why yum fails on that. I would be thankful if any one can help me.
thanks in advance.
Uthpala

sanjay_ankur
23rd June 2008, 02:36 PM
hi,

for offline install using yum, you will have to navigate to the folder on the dvd containing packages and use:

[Ankur@Ankur garfield]$ su -c 'yum local install package'

regards,

uthpalawe
24th June 2008, 02:00 PM
Hi,
The command 'yum local install package' is a wrong command. I think it should be 'yum localinstall package' and it should be entered when in Fedora repos directory (ie in Packages direcotory). The bad news is it does not take care of dependancies. However I was able to install fedora dvd content through adding a line with baseurl=/media/fedora in the relavant file in /etc/yum.repo.d/ directory. Before that I had to mannually mount the cdrom device into directory /media/fedora.
The problem was baseurl entry does not accept entries with spaces. The fedora cdrom is automatically mounted as Fedora 8 ... with spaces into /media directory. Anyway thanks for your help.
regards,
Uthpala