PDA

View Full Version : partition help

sanjay_ankur
23rd June 2008, 06:26 AM
hi all..

is it possible to make a new partition (i need one to test linux distros for the LinuxUserGroup) without hurting my current installations?? .. This is my current partition table.. i have a 120 Gb harddisk..

/media/Windows 44.9Gb

/ 5GB

/var 10Gb

/usr 12Gb

/boot 192Mb (where i have installed GRUB)

/home left over space

i have set my fedora 9 up really well this time and dont want to reinstall to make a new partition.. the windows partition in basically for games like crysis... and the MMC reader and my USB streaming handycam.. which i need sometimes..

Else is it possible to install distros on an external usb harddrive?? or any external harddrive that can be connected to my laptop??? that would really save me a lot of trouble..

regards,

Ankur

Seve
23rd June 2008, 06:41 AM
Hello:
Have you given any thought to virtualization ?

i.e.
VMWare Sever or VirtualBox etc ?

Seve

sanjay_ankur
23rd June 2008, 06:49 AM
hi,

uhm.. no.. id have to say im fairly new in that front.. will that solve my problem??? can you please guide me through it???

regards,

Ankur

sanjay_ankur
23rd June 2008, 07:00 AM
hi,

ive googled a bit and it tells me how to install it.. dangermouse had a soln in one of the posts.. once im done with that ill try setting up a distro on it.. am doing VirtualBox currently..

regards,

stevea
23rd June 2008, 08:56 AM
Virtualization probably is the best choice for basic testing, and I would suggest VirtualBox for beginners.

To answer your initial question, you could try using "gparted" to resize & move partitions.

sideways
23rd June 2008, 09:27 AM
Virtualisation is a good solution but beware that the virtual images will take up a lot of space if you need to test many distros. You can save space by testing LiveCD iso images using something like qemu.

Alternatively, just plug in a cheap usb harddrive, assuming your BIOS can boot from it (most can) then a lot of distros will enable installation on the usb drive. You can even install onto sdhc cards (the install will be slow due to poor write performance) and usb sticks providing they are large enough (~8GB is good) and your machine can boot from them.

sanjay_ankur
23rd June 2008, 09:57 AM
hi,

Virtualisation is a good solution but beware that the virtual images will take up a lot of space if you need to test many distros. You can save space by testing LiveCD iso images using something like qemu.

Alternatively, just plug in a cheap usb harddrive, assuming your BIOS can boot from it (most can) then a lot of distros will enable installation on the usb drive. You can even install onto sdhc cards (the install will be slow due to poor write performance) and usb sticks providing they are large enough (~8GB is good) and your machine can boot from them.

how can i find out if my BIOS supports booting from a USB and if it does how do i install to it??

regards,

Ankur

sideways
23rd June 2008, 10:45 AM
hi,

how can i find out if my BIOS supports booting from a USB and if it does how do i install to it??

regards,

Ankur

Plug in a usb stick/drive and see if your boot menu lists it. Sometimes you have to go into the BIOS settings and make the usb drive the 1st hard disk device.

Note that if there is no usb device present then your BIOS won't display anything, you can't test it without an actual usb device present. Some usb sticks are recognized but may still not boot, I have 3 sticks and only 2 of them boot even though all 3 are recognized by the BIOS. You should be fine with a harddisk - usb sticks can fail because of performance issues.

(Not many machines/laptops will boot from an sdhc card, the asus eee pc 701 4G does, which is nice since it only has a 4G solidstate disk)

sanjay_ankur
23rd June 2008, 10:54 AM
hi,

thanks for that.. ill go get myself a USB harddisk..

regards,