PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 (from tarball) slow scrolling in F8.

alarm9k
22nd June 2008, 07:19 PM
The scrolling in FF3 is extremely slow on some pages (for example addons.mozilla.org).

Firefox 2 from the oficial repository does the same things smoothly, so I'm back to it until I find a solution.

Does anyone experience the same behavior? Found a fix?

I installed FF3 from the tarball from mozilla.org website. I unpacked it to /usr/lib/firefox-3, renamed original /usr/bin/firefox and created a soft link firefox->/usr/lib/firefox-3/firefox.

I also backed up and then removed my original profile from ~/.mozilla to allow creation of the new one by FF3.

Using Fedora 8, KDE, Nvidia 8800 GTS with 169.12 drivers from nvidia.com, Compiz-fusion 0.7.5 from Leigh's repository.

All other things except scrolling seem to work fine in FF3 (it does render pages faster etc).

p.s. Disabling compiz does improve things a bit, but not much :-/

Seve
22nd June 2008, 10:35 PM
Hello:
Try the rpm of FF3 for F8 from Remi Collet's repo
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=192162 it seems to work very well.

Seve

alarm9k
23rd June 2008, 06:50 AM
Hey, Seve. Yes, I am aware of Remi's repo, though it looks like it _updates_ FF2 to FF3 and doesn't allow to keep both of them.

I will, however, give it a try if I won't be able to tweak the tarball version.

Thanks a lot.

alarm9k
23rd June 2008, 08:37 PM
Ah. I was wrong. I installed it and it keeps FF2. Though that didn't make any difference :(
FF3 from Remi's repo still has laggy and slow scrolling on my system.

What can be wrong...?

alarm9k
23rd June 2008, 09:39 PM
Disabling "smooth scrolling" option makes the lag much less noticeable so... I'll stick to it for a while.

MarcoP
24th June 2008, 02:23 PM
There is a reopened bugzilla case (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201307) about FF3 having issues, big issues, this is why you have the issue in few websites only.

alarm9k
24th June 2008, 03:54 PM
I see, I see... :(

Brook
24th June 2008, 04:36 PM
FF3 in the Fedora 9 performs not very well except the additional functions,but is slower than FF2,I think.

MarcoP
24th June 2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Brook, it does have anything to do with Fedora, its a Firefox problem. FF3 like its predecessors have lot of problems and the most annoying one will only show up if you have an HT cpu like I do.

No matter what platform you have, you will get the same results: slow in certain pages and random freeze on HT CPUs.

Brook
24th June 2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Brook, it does have anything to do with Fedora, its a Firefox problem. FF3 like its predecessors have lot of problems and the most annoying one will only show up if you have an HT cpu like I do.

No matter what platform you have, you will get the same results: slow in certain pages and random freeze on HT CPUs.
Hi MarcoP,you mean that it has something to do with the CPU Technology?Yeah,Maybe FF3 isn't compatible with all the different CPU.But I have to say FF3 works well with WINDOWS and performs well than its predecessors with the same CPU.

hammer_gaidin
25th June 2008, 01:45 AM
Disabling "smooth scrolling" option makes the lag much less noticeable so... I'll stick to it for a while.
I agree, I noticed the slow scroll speed. Disabling smooth scroll helped alot.

MarcoP
25th June 2008, 09:28 AM
Brook, the CPU issue its a different problem not related with the slow scrolling, and I'm not really able to test the speed difference since I used to have FF2 when I had fast broadband, now I have FF3 but using a slow wireless connection. However there are lot of speed improvements that comes with the latest Gecko along many other related features.
As normal internet user I have to agree with you, the "latest and stable" FF2 does a better job; otherwise I'll prefer the "new" FF3 for all new engine's related features.

Yes, disabling smooth scrolling does the job in "most" websites.