PDA

View Full Version : Avidemux2 from the command line: How to reproduce the "auto" settings?

SpectrumDT
22nd June 2008, 06:41 PM
Hello.

I am converting some AVI files to MPEG (for burning to DVD) using Avidemux2. Having grown tired of clicking a lot of buttons, I want to run Avidemux from the command line, so I can do more automation.

But I am having trouble getting it to work. Apparently the nice "auto" settings found in the GUI client are not available in the command line version. So... what flags to I have to supply in order to reproduce the "Auto -> DVD" settings?

I have tried doing this:

avidemux2_cli --load Promo.avi --video-codec DVD --save Promo.mpeg

This fails with, among a bunch of other output, this error message:

Codec DVD found
audio-codec-->1
save-->1
**saving:**
Output format:0
MPEG family
************************************************** ******************************
* Error *
* Incompatible output format *
************************************************** ******************************

Can anyone help me? How do I encode AVI into DVD format from the command line?

Another thing: Whenever I call it with my AVI file, it asks me "Do you wish to unpack it?". Can I get rid of this question and automatically get it to do either one thing or the other (I've never really understood what this "unpacking" does.)

Thanks in advance.

lazlow
22nd June 2008, 08:06 PM
You will probably get a better response if you go straight to the avidemux forum:

http://www.avidemux.org/admForum/viewforum.php?id=1

SpectrumDT
23rd June 2008, 10:21 PM
Yes, good idea. I'll do that. Thanks.