devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /home ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
/dev/hdc2 /home1 ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
I have the /home and /home1 on a harddisk connected to the IDE connector 2
Now I want to move that harddrive to the IDE connector 1 where also the Boot drive is /dev/hda1.

I assume i will have to change /dev/hdc1 and hdc2 to /dev/hdb1 and hdb2

But when i boot, hole fedora 5 crokes. i get error error on opening /dev/hdb1 error in superblock..

Question is there a easy way to fix that up without losing the hole files on that second drive? And yes im a complet noob in linux, so if someone answer please a step be step :)

Saint Mike
22nd June 2008, 05:06 PM
U would have to change the boot order in your bios to point to the new location of your boot HD

Then yes it will change the naming of your HD's u will have to change them accordingly in fstab

An easy app to look trhough your HD's and see which is which is gpated
yum install gparted

A little more info on your setup would help us help you.

So you have 3 HD's?

one with 2 partitions thats your two home folders
what setup is on the other 2 HD's?

is /boot on its own partition?

are you duel booting windows? what partition and drive is that on?

Arrn
22nd June 2008, 05:35 PM
No 2 Hd's.
hda1 is the complet fedora, including boot etc.

hdc1 is /home
hdc2 is /home1 (1 HD with 2 partion on it.)

Boot is fine, it only crokes on opening the HDB drive second HD what was hdc before.
but as soon i connect the second drive to the first ide controller and do:
/dev/hdb1 /home ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
/dev/hdb2 /home1 ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
and reboot i get that error.

if I unplug the second drive complet and take those 2 lins out from fstab it works too except no /homes then :)

If i plug HD 2 again on the second ide controller and do
/dev/hdc1 /home ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
/dev/hdc2 /home1 ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1

it works again :(

Saint Mike
22nd June 2008, 05:49 PM
"Boot is fine, it only crokes on opening the HDB drive second HD what was hdc before."
*Still confused*
ok # or delete out the two lines in /etc/fstab for you /home /home1 for now

Stick your 2 HD's where u want them, now that you have changed the order of your HD's your computers bios will try boot the HD that dosnt have grub(bootloader) installed.

Press del or f2 or whatever it tells you to enter setup when your computer first starts up

There should be an option in there to change the boot order

either set the first option to another HD
or change the order of your HD's, depends how what bios u have, some are differant

Change the order or first boot option till u find the right setting =D

When u have fedora booting ok with all your hd's pluged in go to a terminal and

su -
fdisk -l

print result in here:)

Arrn
22nd June 2008, 06:23 PM
Yep I tryed that. The boot order is fine, boot drive is a maxtor and the home drive is a samsung.
Boot is from maxtor. It all boots fine, fedora bootloader, then uncrompseing fedora bla bla, then i have per default the xserver starting, if im quick enough and push show details i can see checking file system
then it comes
1)error on opening /dev/hb1 error in superblock
2)error on opening /dev/hb2 error in superblock

[IDE conector 1] got 1 HD (HDA) conected the fedora system, inclusive all its partion and /boot
[IDE conector 2] got 1 HD (HDC) plus 1 DVD Rom conected, and on HDC are 2 partion mounted as /home and /home1.

Now I move the HDC to connector 1, and i dont change HDA at all, then i edit fstab and change the lines from hdcx to hdbx

Reboot, then it says press enter to reboot, so I push (DEL) and change boot order. Save and exit

computer reboots.. then i get the error from /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2.

If I connect that drive back to the controller 2 and change boot order again then everything works great. But as soon I put that drive on the controller 1 and change fstab to /hdbx it crokes.

On boot it comes:
Set time [ok]
udev start [ok]
load keyboard [ok]
set computer name [ok]

Logical Volume management: 2 logical volumes in volume "VOL GROUP00" now active.

checking filesystem:
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdb2 [error]

[.....]
Give root password for maitenance
(or type Control+D to continue:

Do i have to change somewhere something else?

Arrn
22nd June 2008, 06:59 PM
okay got it.. goodness. hade to change the hda drive to the connecter 2 of the ide1 cable.

Okay other question, per default fedora checks every 34 boot or something the drives via fsck, is there a way to set this lower to about every 5 boot ? where do I edit this ?

SomeDamFool
21st July 2008, 12:07 PM
I recently formatted my ntfs drive (/dev/sdb1) to ext3, as I hadn't booted Windows more than a few times in 18 months. I intend to use the drive for backups and storage. Now the drive won't mount at boot, I get error 'bad superblock or... etc.'

When I try to mount it in a terminal I get 'sdb1 not found in fstab or mtab', but it is in fstab, and mounts immediately with gparted or mount man in Krusader root mode. Once mounted the drive is accessible and works fine. My fstab is:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
UUID=0e761373-a7e4-43d5-a9f4-89e266d5c9b6 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb ext3 silent,umask=0002,utf8=true

When sdb1 had Windows on it I used this line and sdb1 mounted at boot.

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/DriveE ntfs-3g silent,umask=0002,utf8=true

The only thing I changed was the mount point and the file system type. I'm using Fedora 9 by the way.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike