PDA

View Full Version : i'v got dedicated server, can i help

triplehead
16th July 2004, 08:46 AM
So, i have dedicated server located in Helsinki Finland, could i mirror some releases. If this is possible, please tell me how ;)

ilja
16th July 2004, 08:49 AM
Becoming a Mirror

We reserve bandwidth for public-access mirrors. If you would like to provide public access to a mirror of the Fedora FTP site, please send email to <ftp@redhat.com> including the hostname and IP address of the mirror, and an email contact for mirror administration. Thank you!

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

But it's really a lot of traffic!

triplehead
16th July 2004, 09:18 AM
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

But it's really a lot of traffic!
what is LOT of traffic, 50GB/30days?
i guess only people from nordic countries would use my mirror
my server is at the "knot" point of Finlands internet "tube"
could i mirror only part, for. example only x86_64 versions

tuomas

Jman
17th July 2004, 11:50 AM
People from all over the world will find you if you get on the mirror list.

You could mirror part, but the i386 would help the most.

Say one person downloads Fedora a day, at 2 GB apiece. That's abut 60 GB/month right there. At release time it will probably be a lot more. Just to warn you.

Thanks for volunteering to help more people get Fedora.

triplehead
18th July 2004, 10:32 PM
People from all over the world will find you if you get on the mirror list.

You could mirror part, but the i386 would help the most.

Say one person downloads Fedora a day, at 2 GB apiece. That's abut 60 GB/month right there. At release time it will probably be a lot more. Just to warn you.

Thanks for volunteering to help more people get Fedora.

Yes. i understand that mirroring could generate lot's of traffic. I think that people living on nordic countries would be typical users same way i'm using funet(Finland) and sunet(Sweden) mirrors that are close to me (an faster for me than other mirrors). I don't have any bandwith limits so that helps ;) .

Because i use x86_64 system, i could also put some rpm packages (which i have built) which are not yet available for 64bit arch on server too.