PDA

View Full Version : Secure File Server Setup

Unlimited
20th June 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm interested in setting up a file server for a small business. Ideally, I want each employee to have their own log-in/password to the server. The important thing is that people connecting to our wireless cannot access the file-server without the proper log-in information.

What is the easiest way to set something like this up, and is Fedora the right distro for the job?

forkbomb
20th June 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm not a fan of using Fedora for servers, and that seems to be the consensus around here. If you're interested in the "Redhat family" for a server either pick Redhat itself (if you want to pay), or use CentOS (free beer). Search the forum - plenty of people ask about using Fedora for a server, and it has some disadvantages mostly related to the short development cycle.

The easiest way to set up a file server on a Linux box is probably through Samba, especially if the clients are Windows machine, because Samba is essentially an implementation of SMB/CIFS for Unix and Unix-like machines. You can set up password authentication using Samba.

http://www.linux.com/articles/58593