PDA

View Full Version : FC4 Lockup after HAL [OK]

deathsfriend
20th June 2008, 05:32 PM
I have a FC4 machine that locks up after the HAL [OK]
Everything seems to go fine until that point.
I can ssh in and check dmesg there seems to be a problem at:

NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state recovery directory
NFSD: unable to find recovery directory /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery
NFSD: starting 90-second grace period
eth0: no IPv6 routers present

I'm not sure what this means. searching around it has something to do with nfs, but nfs starts just fine.

lazlow
20th June 2008, 10:38 PM
Support for FC4 was dropped several years ago. We are currently on Fedora 9, and F8 is the only other version supported. Since there have not been security updates in years (and none are coming), I would suggest you upgrade to a supported version. If you want long term support (Fedora only supports versions for about a year now) I would suggest switching to Centos. Centos is RHEL with the logos removed. It is free to download/update and has a five year support life. Since virtually no one is still running FC4 your pool of support is extremely limited.

hyperspace
20th June 2008, 10:41 PM
Geez. I'd better do something about my FC2 that is serving up my WEB site. :)

deathsfriend
20th June 2008, 10:45 PM
Geez. I'd better do something about my FC2 that is serving up my WEB site. :)
Agreed. everytime I post here, the answer seems to be upgrade. I have 40+ systems, a webserver and a file server that runs just fine on FC4. In fact, upgrading has done nothing but cause problems, because, as stated above, support is dropped for older versions and my licenses and programs that worked on FC4 stop working at 5 and above. The problem stated above has nothing to do with the version, I just thought it would be relevant for those searching.
I don't mean to be rude, but reinstall/upgrade sounds like a microsoft solution.

lazlow
20th June 2008, 11:21 PM
You are obviously using a development distro in a production environment. Which has its own implications as to the wisdom of doing in the first place. But the important part is that since the version is supported for only about a year there is going to be very few people around who have current experience with a version that has not been supported in years. It is important that a individual has current experience on that particular version becuase each version has its own little oddities. That is why I mentioned Centos. It has a long life. It is binary compatible with RHEL, so any licensed software out there is probably available for it. It has a huge number of people who are using it (including RHEL). If you were in this same exact position but running Cenots3/RHEL3 there would be tons of people with relevant experience, becuase of the long support life.

hyperspace
21st June 2008, 02:22 AM
Well, his may be production. Mine is purely learning and experimentation. So I may jump to completely distribution when I get serious about learning a CMS.