PDA

View Full Version : Adobe flash plug-in will not install in Firefox 3

Shaky Start
20th June 2008, 03:54 PM
An object i was recently browsing using Ffx required the installation of the flash player plug-in. I was directed to a download link at Adobe where i was able to select the correct platform Two Linux options were presented; rpm and yum install

Q.1: aren't these the same thing?

Having selected one at random I was asked if i want to save the item or open it, with the default package installer. Taking the install option fails with either type of package (rpm or yum). The 'more details' button presented with the failure error message says (and this is really helpful) that the package was not installed........

If I take the option to download the package I have no idea where it goes to. Even if I could discover that, I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

This pattern of events happens repeatedly with Linux applications. It seems like a terribly demotivating way to get converts from Windows.

Can I get some advice please?

Keldorn
20th June 2008, 06:43 PM
What platform do you use? i386 or x86_64?
If you are using i386 go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash chose ´yum for Linux´ and install it ( if you are using firefox it will be 1st option - dont save it - ir save and go to /home/username/downloads and intsall it) then type:
su -c 'yum install flash-plugin'

for x86_64 create new directory for 32-bit plug-ins
su -c 'mkdir -p /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins'
su -c 'yum -y install nspluginwrapper.{i386,x86_64} pulseaudio-libs.i386'
then install flash plug-in - you can see how to do it above (for i386) and register plug-in
su -c 'mozilla-plugin-config -i -g -v'
relaunch firefox and it should work
I hope it will help you.

Shaky Start
20th June 2008, 09:39 PM
This is amazing - it truly is.

Your reply has clearly described the process I have been using, but in a much better way than I could. The problem is that computers are so terribly consistent: what failed, with my poor description, fails just the same with your good one - for the entirely understandable reason that I am only repeating the process.

Using the Firefox '1st option' (install) fails as previously with the message 'local install failed'

You said "don't save it - ir save and go to ...'. I have to say I cannot understand this instruction.

You said '... go to ... and install it' but didn't say how I install it. I tried right clicking the file in the download folder and selected the ' Open with Package Installer ' option. This too failed with the same error message as previously.

I then followed the instruction to 'su -c 'yum...' and this install terminated with the message 'already installed and latest version. Nothing to do'

That's why I say it is truly amazing: why has Firefox and Linux taken me on this frustrating days-long journey for nothing?

hyperspace
21st June 2008, 03:40 AM
I had installed the provided "flash" through Add/Remove Software. Flash did not work. I downloaded the RPM from Adobe and ran the following command:

rpm -ivh flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm

Now, it works. I hope this corrects your flash issues.

mickwombat
21st June 2008, 09:06 AM
I am assuming you were using Firefox 2 before and Flash Player was working fine.
Firefox 3 is not an update to Firefox 2 but a new install and I found when I installed it that none of my plugins worked anymore.
I had exactly the same problem that it said Flash already installed etc.
Try typing into the address, about: plugins, and see what you get.
You will need to copy all the links and plugins you had for FF2 into the plugins folder for FF3.

Have a look at my post here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=192074

Good luck

Raven313
29th June 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm running F8 with Firefox 2 and 3 from Remi. I want to run an older version of Flash 9.115 (which I have the tar.gz). The problem is, it will install to FF 2, which is fine, but it will not install to FF 3. It claims the /usr/lib/Firefox-3.0 path is not valid.

If I try to install the latest flash plugin I get the same error, /usr/lib/Firefox-3.0 invalid directory

If I do a yum install flash-plugin it installs the latest version to both FF's. I'm assuming the rpm would do the same.

The best I can do so far is to have the older 9.115 installed on FF 2 and not have adobe flash installed at all on FF 3. I don't like that because I want some version installed on FF 3.

Any ideas?

Newbie_from_NJ
29th June 2008, 10:06 PM
Here's how I fixed my issues with Flash: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=192887

jbannon
30th June 2008, 01:36 AM
Put this in /etc/yum.repos/adobe-linux-i386.repo

[adobe-linux-i386]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

Then run

sudo yum clean all
sudo yum makecache
sudo yum install flash-plugin

You can also install AdobeReader using this repository. The flash plugin works in Firefox 3, but be sure to have installed libflashsupport from the fedora updates repository as well.

sudo yum install libflashsupport

Flash should then work OK (sort of - sometimes it gets its knickers in a twist).

Raven313
30th June 2008, 04:03 AM
Jim,

Doing this installs the latest version of flash on all copies of Firefox. I want to target the install so it only installs to Firefox 3. I want Firefox 2 to retain the older version of flash I installed on it previously.

Finalzone
30th June 2008, 04:49 AM
Put this in /etc/yum.repos/adobe-linux-i386.repo

[adobe-linux-i386]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

Much easier way is to simply download the repository from Adobe website.

Raven313
30th June 2008, 07:17 PM
I think he was just trying to clarify the repo parameters.

I'm still looking for a way to target my Flash install to go to Firefox 3 and not Firefox 2.

cavin1
30th June 2008, 08:36 PM
I have had a few helpful responses to probs I had, may I offer one I solved this afternoon.

In the new Firefox 3.0 I found that it would not support Flash which I had inatslled, it wanted the latest. Ergo I installed Flash Ver 9.0, no good. I still had FF 2.0 installed so I went there to see what I could find and there was a 'plugin' directory which contained 'libflashplayer.so.
I installed it on FF3 pluginn directory and lo and behold Flash is fine now.

Hope this helps anyone having problems with Flash an FF3.0. :) :)

Finalzone
30th June 2008, 08:37 PM
Documented on release note of Fedora 9 (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Desktop.html#sn-Enabling-Flash-Plugin).

Dan
30th June 2008, 08:45 PM
Threads merged.

jbannon
30th June 2008, 11:16 PM
Jim,

Doing this installs the latest version of flash on all copies of Firefox. I want to target the install so it only installs to Firefox 3. I want Firefox 2 to retain the older version of flash I installed on it previously.

Have you just tried copying it to your home config directory? That usually works with npdf (Adobe Acrobat).

arshad3m
1st August 2008, 10:54 AM
flash player working. but no sound coming. please help.
thank you