PDA

View Full Version : EXT3 Partitions from FC2 are Whacked?

davedave
16th July 2004, 04:18 AM
It appears that EXT3 partitions created with FC2 are whacked in some fashion.

I went to adjust some partion sizes using "Acronis Disk Director 9.0" and it flags the EXT3 partions with a red 'X' as unsupported. Now this is strange as it supports EXT3.

Switching to "Partition Magic 8.0" I encountered essentially the same thing. It flagged the EXT3 partions created by FC2 as having an error and refused to resize them.

Both of these partition products successfully adjusted EXT3 partions created by RedHat 9.

I tried it on a total of 5 different newly built FC2 machines with the same results. Something is not right about the EXT3 partitions that FC2 is creating.

Could this be related to the disk geometry problem associated with the 2.6 install that manifests as a coruption of Windows dual boot?

ZeroVerteX
16th July 2004, 04:38 AM
It's funny how it says "EXT3 Partitions f..cked? " on the board. Ironic.

davedave
20th July 2004, 07:15 AM
I posted this problem to Bugtraq and it was reassigned as a duplicate to a known bug dating back a year.

sej7278
12th December 2004, 07:04 PM
I just noticed this with FC3 too. Nobody on the Acronis forum seems to see it as a bug! I've seen it with TI8 and TI8 Corp Workstation.

I think FC2 was OK, so something either changed in a later kernel than I used with FC2, or something changed between the build of Acronis I used for FC2 and the build I used for FC3.

Have you got the Bugtraq link?

taylor65
13th December 2004, 07:02 PM
FC2's installer had some issues with hard drive geometry. I have 1 PC that won't even boot with FC3 because of the FC2 troubles I had with it. I have another PC that boots FC3 but won't auto-partition after having FC2 on it. I'm starting to look for a solution to get the hard drive back to normal, but I haven't spent any time on it yet.

sej7278
14th December 2004, 06:40 AM
Link to the explanation of the new features in ext3 used in FC2 & 3 on the Acronis forums:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57963

I guess when I put FC3 on this laptop, I'll go with ReiserFS.