PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Terminals

daviddoria
19th June 2008, 10:11 PM
So I understand that you can hit ctrl+alt+F1 - F6 to get individual terminals. But I was always under the impression that if I was in X in terminal 1, then I switched to terminal 2, my X was broken because when i ctrl+alt+F1 to get back it was just text! But I found out today that ctrl+alt+F7 gets back to the graphical session! Why is that? Also, ctrl+alt+F8 and above just bring me to a black screen with a flashing cursor (not a terminal). What is that?

Thanks!
Dave

ivancat
19th June 2008, 11:29 PM
because (maybe historically?) it is like that: X server uses tty7. though you can change the amount of ttys and their types as you want, all you need to do is to edit the inittab file (man inittab gives you the information you need), or better to say, the particular session of inittab called (not really called but it follows after the following comment in fedora) #Run gettys in standart runlevels.
Here's the general example of what you'll find:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
the first number enumartes the tty, 2345 - runlevels to run this under, respawn means respawn, then the path to the executable (process). As said before you can change the number of ttys and edit under what runlevels they are run and what is run as well.

theNbomr
20th June 2008, 03:35 PM
Just to add to what ivancat said, it is also possible to run multiple X servers on a single host. The second, third and so on would be accessed with Ctrl-F8, Ctrl-F9, respectively.

--- rod.

daviddoria
20th June 2008, 03:41 PM
great - thanks guys