PDA

View Full Version : Redhat slump

cathal
15th July 2004, 05:28 AM
An article i just came across http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17192 What do ye make of that? For all the business people out their :)

ewdi
15th July 2004, 05:36 AM
I think redhat strategy is pretty good so far as they have survive the bad economy cycle, but the market is dynamic, changes is needed to keep up with the industry

imdeemvp
15th July 2004, 05:57 AM
mandrake was in bancruptcy for about 18 months if i am not mistaken and they resurrected about 6 months ago.....and it looks like they will take overs the windows servers in france :eek:

rkl
15th July 2004, 10:56 AM
All Red Hat announced was that rather than counting their enterprise subs as starting from the 1st of the next month, they'll count them from the day they actually start. I guess the end of the sub might counteract this by "losing" days they'd have counted as a full month in the old method, so it'll probably all balance out about the same. Don't know why this caused the stock to drop sharply though - anyone care to explain?

taylor65
15th July 2004, 11:08 AM
Well, with a market cap of over $2,000,000,000.00 and a P/E ratio of 128, the stock price is still awfully high (unless it's 1999). I've followed redhat from the beginning (even got lucky enough to get 100 shares at the IPO price via Etrade). I've watched it go from a split-adjusted price of $7 to $150, then back down to $5. So, where will it go tomorrow? Who knows - as far as I can tell, a company's stock price has little to do with how solid a company is or how much money it makes. It seems to more about large investors trying to outguess each other - after all, it's a zero-sum game - for every dollar a person makes, another person loses a dollar.