PDA

View Full Version : Python GUI interface

Jenkins
6th June 2008, 03:05 PM
Hi,

I am new to Linux so I am sorry if this is easy.
I am dual booting vista with x86_64 Fedora 9 on hp laptop.
I want to continue learning python and I have installed it and can run it by typing "python" in the shell. When I started in windows XP I had a GUI with different colours for commands and my notes etc. Can this be achieved in Linux and if so how? Also is it possible to put a link in my kde4 start menu?

Thanks

gamradtk
6th June 2008, 06:53 PM
Have you tried eric???

Use yumex to install from Development/Development Tools

It's also available for Windows.

http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/index.html

Firewing1
6th June 2008, 07:59 PM
GEdit, or "Text Editor" in the menu has syntax highlighting and a bunch more of you enable it in the preferences (be sure to look at the plugisn too)!
Firewing1

bryancole
6th June 2008, 10:47 PM
oh, oh, oh, ... python question ... my favorite topic ....

The feature you describe is Syntax Highlighting, and almost all (linux) text editors support this. E.g. Gedit (if you use Gnome) or Kate (if you use KDE, I think (I'm not a KDE user)). I can't understand why gedit doesn't include a "run script" shortcut though.

The default GUI distributed with python is "IDLE" however it is not installed by default in Fedora. you need to install the "python-tools" package i.e. run "yum install python-tools". I'm guessing this is what you were using on Windows.

Since you use KDE, "eric3" is a very full-featured IDE based on Qt. Personally I find eric's design a bit of a mess with all it's features thrown together in an ad-hoc way (this is very subjective so do try it and see if it suits). If you want more than IDLE offers, I recommend Eclipse + pydev. Eclipse is very well designed with probably the best "code intelligence" of any python IDE. Eclipse comes into it's own when you're working on large projects. The downside is it is a memory-hog, so is not a good option on old hardware. See http://pydev.sourceforge.net/features.html

One more option: SciTE, a very lightweight and fast editor with syntax-highlighting and hyper-linked tracebacks. Probably better than gedit/Kate.

There are in fact so many programmer's editors available, it pointless listing any more.

All of the above options can be installed straight from the Fedora repositories and will automatically appear in your menus after installation.

eliashickman
15th August 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks bryancole.
I was looking to start programming with Python and I really like Eclipse and use it with RSSOwl integrated, so it's perfect for me.