PDA

View Full Version : Editing "grub.conf" file !

jce2005
6th June 2008, 04:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

well, first I'd like to say that I am completly new to Linux/Fedora 9 ! I could almost say "I have no clue what I am doing", but here is the situation :

I have a Windows Vista Notebook with MS Virtual PC 2007 SP1 installed. I managed to create a virtual Fedora 9 PC, which works actually pretty good. The only problem is, everytime I boot into Fedora 9, I have to :

1. hit any key
2. hit "a"
3. enter " noreplace-paravirt " to the boot line, so I won't get the boot error.

Several article on the web saying I have to edit the " /etc/grub.conv " file to put the "noreplace-paravirt" parameter at the end of the boot line ! Here is my problem I need help with :

How do I EDIT this file ? I tried to use the included text editor, but that won't work. It says I don't have permission to edit the grub.conf file. Several article on the web describe a "code" to edit this file, but since I am very "Linux-dumb" I have no clue how to do this. Can anyone help me out with step-by-step description on how to edit the grub.conf file wihin Fedora or any other easy solution.

Thank you very much.

Greetings,

jce2005

Wayne
6th June 2008, 04:36 AM
No, you need to be root to edit system files..

Open a Terminal and type:

su

give the root password and type:

gedit

Open up the file and edit away...

Wayne

Seve
6th June 2008, 04:37 AM
Hello:
Take a few minutes and read through some of the basics.
http://www.fedorafaq.org/
To edit your grub file
Open a terminal and login as root ----- See http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#root
Then type and enter
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

and you should be good to go.

Seve

Edit:
Sorry Wayne .. I did not mean to post over you.

Freakin lag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jce2005
6th June 2008, 05:13 AM
Hi there,

COOOOOOL, thanks so much for the fast reply. I was able to open the grub.conf file and do the editing. Now the boot into the Pirtual PC works great and I finally can start practicing Linux a bit.

One last question ( for now ! LOL ) : During the boot, the screen changes from perfect to distorted characters/colors.......... while it is booting up and Fedora looks great, I was wondering if the "Boot-Screen-Distortion" has something to do with the NVIDIA graphic chip I am having in my Notebook. Do I need to install other drivers ???? If so, where do I get them ?

Thanks,

jce2005