PDA

View Full Version : fedora n00b needs help with chroot

jason_f
6th June 2008, 04:04 AM
I'm running F9 64bit. Recent convert to fedora..
I have quite a few games already installed in my old archlinux partition. I am trying to chroot into that and run some stuff but I get 'cannot connect to X' errors.

I did an 'xhost +' before chrooting, and I also modified X to startup without the '-nolisten tcp' option, but I'm still getting connection refused errors in the chroot. Did I miss a step? I am also mounting /home, /dev, /proc, /sys, /etc with -o bind to the chroot directory..

dan.btown
6th June 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi jason_f,

welcome aboard! :)

The bad news is: I can't help you with your 2 issues technically-wise.

The not so bad news is: You should try to post 2 separate topics in 2 seperate threads and try to make up informative thread titles in order to attract more attention to your threads. Usually, the information that you consider yourself a newbie is of very little help, because everyone is a newbie at everthing at some time in life; it is definitly not worth making it into a thread title.

You may want to delete the last paragraph of your post (using the edit functionality of the forum software) and post it in another newly started thread with an informative thread title, as the 2 issues of your post don't seem to be interconnected (at least not to me).

(However, you must resist any temptation to double-post problems.)

Don't hesitate to come back here if your problems persist.

And pls. come back to post any solutions you found yourself for other users.

Cheers,

-- Dan

jason_f
8th June 2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks Dan, done!

dan.btown
8th June 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Jason!

Pls. start your machine, open a terminal and run the following commands in turn:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '^(!!)\|^(WW)\|^(EE)\|^(NI)\|^(??)' > /home/YOUR-ACCOUNT/02.x.txt

cat /var/log/Xorg.setup.log | grep '^(!!)\|^(WW)\|^(EE)\|^(NI)\|^(??)' > /home/YOUR-ACCOUNT/03.x-setup.txt
Then come back and post the contents of the two resulting text files. Pls. wrap the respective contents in CODE-Tags, using the number sign button ("#") atop the text field of the forum software.

Did the procedure that you apply work earlier (e.g with other distros)?

Cheers,

-- Dan

JohnVV
8th June 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm running F9 64bit. Recent convert to fedora..
I have quite a few games already installed in my old archlinux partition. I am trying to chroot into that and run some stuff but I get 'cannot connect to X' errors.

the old games are 32 bit ,right, and the new system is 64 bit
if this is the case then you will need to get and install most of the 32 bit code to run them .Or reinstall them from the 64 bit repo's or rebuild them from the source on the new 64 bit platform .
as to getting access to the OLD partition Fedora should have set that up on install and there should be a icon on your desktop for it .
if not then run ( as root su - your password when asked)
fdisk -l
to find its listing
for ex i have a small ntfs partition to share with win xp
/dev/sdb1 1 1305 10482381 7 HPFS/NTFS

edit your /etc/fstab file adding the partition to it
my ntfs part
/dev/sdb1 /your/location ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
or a regular part.
/dev/sdb2 /your/location ext3 defaults 0 0

/your/location is the directory for ex /mnt/old
then reboot

jason_f
8th June 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Jason!

Pls. start your machine, open a terminal and run the following commands in turn:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '^(!!)\|^(WW)\|^(EE)\|^(NI)\|^(??)' > /home/YOUR-ACCOUNT/02.x.txt

cat /var/log/Xorg.setup.log | grep '^(!!)\|^(WW)\|^(EE)\|^(NI)\|^(??)' > /home/YOUR-ACCOUNT/03.x-setup.txt
Then come back and post the contents of the two resulting text files. Pls. wrap the respective contents in CODE-Tags, using the number sign button ("#") atop the text field of the forum software.

Did the procedure that you apply work earlier (e.g with other distros)?

Cheers,

-- Dan

It did. Just to clarify, I had a 32 bit and 64 bit archlinux partition previously. Arch doesn't natively support 32 bit as fedora does. So I had my base desktop in 64 bits and had all the games and other programs such as amazonmp3 in the 32bit partition. I had a startup script to mount all my partitions binding home, etc, proc, dev, etc, in the chroot directory. Then had a command called 'dchroot' that would allow me to run stuff from the chrooted install. I would like to somehow duplicate this. Can everything be reinstalled in fedora? Possibly. Amazonmp3 seems to have issues as their rpm is built against older ssl libs. (I could probably install the fedora 8 repo packages to get this going.) but my point is that quite a few workarounds like this would be needed, which seem unnecessary since i have everything i want to run already installed on another partition.

Basically what I did was wipe the 64bit arch install and put fedora on that partition, but I still have the 32 bit partition and would just like to run things as I always have. For some reason X is not allowing this to happen as I'm getting connection refused errors.

I have KDM running as it was the only way I could seem to get rid of the 'nolisten tcp' flag that GDM wants to startup X with.

2305 tty7 SLs+ 0:58 /usr/bin/X -br :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-f4kdiw
I did bind /var/run into my chroot as well to get the auth file into the chroot.

Here is the output from those 2 commands.

(WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...
The second one didn't output anything...

Thanks again for the help with this..

jason_f
8th June 2008, 10:59 PM
I got it! I needed to have /tmp mounted as well.

Thanks again Dan and John for your help!