PDA

View Full Version : "Old" xorg.conf crashes system

Divit11
5th June 2008, 09:15 PM
Hi All,
I installed FC9 and tried to replace xorg.conf with my Multihead layout from FC8 (which was working fine).
This is a dual boot machine with MS XP SP3 working great.
Display system will not allow me to choose *any* video cards for the second monitor. That is when I put my FC8 xorg.conf in and rebooted. The screen went black right after "Starting udev [OK]

I have been thru xorg.conf(5x) and was wondering if my BusID values are correct so I then ran lspci -b and learned that 00:0e.o was my 3Dfx card and 01:00.0 was my NV11 card. I don't know how to translate this info into the xorg.conf format.

Here is a copy of what worked in FC8 and now crashed everything in FC9

# Xorg configuration created by Divit11 # Last updated 6-3-08 Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "Multihead layout" Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0 Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0" InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" Option "Xinerama" "on" Option "Clone" "off" EndSection ###Section "Files" ### ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia" ### ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules" ###EndSection ###Section "ServerFlags" ### Option "AIGLX" "on" ###EndSection Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "kbd" Option "XkbModel" "pc104" Option "XkbLayout" "us" EndSection Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse0" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "Monitor0" VendorName "IBM" ModelName "IBM G96" DisplaySize 360 270 HorizSync 30.0 - 95.0 VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0 Option "dpms" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "Monitor1" VendorName "Hewlett Packard" ModelName "HP D5259A Pavilion M70 Monitor" DisplaySize 320 240 HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0 VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0 Option "dpms" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "Videocard0" Driver "nv" VendorName "nVidia Cororation" BoardName "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]" BusID "PCI:1:0:0" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "Videocard1" Driver "tdfx" VendorName "Videocard Vendor" BoardName "3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee" Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" BusID "PCI:0:14:0" EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "Screen0" Device "Videocard0" Monitor "Monitor0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 16 Modes "800x600" "640x480" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 24 Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" EndSubSection EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "Screen1" Device "Videocard1" Monitor "Monitor1" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 16 Modes "800x600" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 24 Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" EndSubSection EndSection Section "Extensions" Option "Composite" "Enable" EndSection

I hope you can read this file if not help me get that right first.

Thanks for reading this far.
Divit11

Hlingler
5th June 2008, 11:35 PM
Hello:

Try:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia Cororation"
BoardName "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard1"
Driver "tdfx"
VendorName "Videocard Vendor"
BoardName "3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
BusID "PCI:0:e:0"
EndSectionV

Divit11
6th June 2008, 01:57 AM
Hi Hlingler,
Thanks for the reply, your suggested change now allows the system to complete booting, but there was no activity during the bootup process on the second monitor. In FC8 that monitor seemed to go thru a couple of spurts of "activity", now there was no activity.
I went to System>Admin>Display>Dual head tab and could see the HP Monitor but there was no value in Second Video Card text box. I am still unable to make a change there.
D

Hlingler
6th June 2008, 02:07 AM
I'm tempted to say: write this one off as a victim of X11R7.4/Xorg-1.4.99* pre-release in F9, but at least you can check /var/log/Xorg.0.log[.old] to see if there are any clues as to what's going wrong. If you don't find anything or don't understand the output, then post back and attach the entire file(s) as an attachment, we'll give them a look to see what's going on during Xorg start-up.

V

Divit11
6th June 2008, 03:36 AM
I have looked at the two files (briefly) but there were no EEs, but when I did a search on tdfx I noticed an UnloadModule "tdfx" don't know if it means anything.
I have combined both Xorg.0.log & .old into a text file since it seems that one can not attach .log files here.
D

Hlingler
6th June 2008, 04:11 AM
To the best of my knowledge and belief, Xinerama has been deprecated in favor of XRandR. I think that having it enabled might be screwing up your dual-head and RandR. So, disable it (or just comment out the line completely) and see if RandR runs the daul-head automatically. You can also check manual pages 'man xorg.conf", 'man nv' and 'man tdfx' (that last one is very short and not very helpful) for dual-head-related options.

There are no errors nor warnings, so I don't see any other reason why the "tdfx" voodoo driver is being unloaded without any warning.

V

Divit11
6th June 2008, 06:39 AM
Ok, I commented out the Option "Xinerama" "on" and rebooted but nothing appeared to change.
I've read those manuals but it's late and my comprehension is shot. I did google XRandR and found this blog: http://blog.frith.co.za/2007/12/06/xrandr-finally-simple-monitor-configuration-for-linux/
but don't fully understand it since the model is an external monitor attached to a laptop. Several issues need to be answered like, how does FC9 adapt with 2 video cards? Guess I'll look at it again tomorrow.
D

Divit11
29th August 2008, 06:26 AM
Hello again.
I was able to locate another nVidia MX/MX400 PCI card and replaced the 3Dfx card. It is working fine on the Window XP Home side but is still black in FC9.
I did /sbin/lspci and it seems to have detected both video cards:

00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev a1)

Here is the current video device sections of my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia Cororation"
BoardName "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (AGP)"
###Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard1"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "Videocard Vendor"
BoardName "nVidia Geforce MX400 (PCI)"
###Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
BusID "PCI:0:e:0"
EndSection

So what can I try next?
D

Hlingler
29th August 2008, 07:25 AM
Hello Again:

From 'man nv':
Option "Dualhead" "boolean"
Enables simple VBE-based dual head mode. This sets the same resolution on both outputs and lays them out side-by-side. The
screens will be panned together as one big metamode if the virtual desktop is larger than both screens combined.So, add 'Option "Dualhead" "true" ' to both Device sections. Re-start X-server and see what happens.

This should certainly be just a simple matter of getting the options correct. Unfortunately, the software and documentation aren't being very helpful....

V

Divit11
29th August 2008, 02:35 PM
Hi V,
Well, I added the option 'Option "Dualhead" "true"' to both devices and the results were very disappointing. First there was still no video on Monitor1 and second it looked like my screen resolution on Monitor0 went down to about 400 x 300. The login box was split on the one screen as if one had zoomed in so close that the left edge of the box was on the right edge of my screen and the right edge of the box was on the left edge of my screen.

I guess that it was trying to put a dual image on one monitor.

Down the road I was hoping to change to Bios setting to make this new pci card the initial display card and flip flop the monitors to take advantage of the larger RAM capacity of this new card. Do you think that there may be some underlying conflicts between the AGP and PCI slots when dealing with FC9?

D

Divit11
4th September 2008, 06:23 PM
Hi to all who have looked at this thread. I have successfully changed my BIOS to direct the pci card (newest w/64MB ram) be the primary card at startup. I also flip flopped my monitors. A few simple clicks in MS XP Home and things worked just fine.

I also get my new card and monitor showing up when I boot into Fedora Core 9. However, even though both video devices are seen when I run /sbin/lspci the Display system will not allow me to choose *any* video cards for the second monitor.

One other clue, normally when booting up with dual monitors and dual video cards in FC6-8 there was a number of snaps and pops as the monitors were brought to life. This still occurs in XP but does not occur with booting up in FC9.

I did follow one thread that said to move /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a different name and let the system recreate the file. Funny thing is that later when I sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf it appears to be a new file. Where are those instructions being kept?

Early on in this thread there was referance to running RandR. Can someone point me to a link that might show how to "run" this feature?

D

Hlingler
5th September 2008, 04:49 AM
Hi Divit11:

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about dual-head setups, so I'm a little lost here.

I can tell you that xrandr can be run from command line like so:
xrandr -q

to see current settings and all available modes. Current values marked with asterisk. To change settings "on-the-fly", for example:
xrandr -s 1024x768 -r 60.0

would change resolution to 1024x768 and refresh rate to 60.0. Changes are applied immediately when you press <ENTER>. See: man xrandr for details, also see NVidia link in my sig for more details.

Certain things can cause Xorg to regenerate a new xorg.conf file (via one of the built-in Xorg utilities), including running "Display Manager" (aka system-config-display), and livna-config-display will also cause a new xorg.conf to be generated unless told not to do so.

V

Divit11
5th September 2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks again for replying Hlingler,
I have been to your nVidia link and several other threads here and via Google searches. I have seen several threads that reflected an inability to get a second physical video card to be addressed by Fedora Core 9.
The fact that my nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 cards are now considered as legacy hardware does not help matters much as Fedora rushes to handle the latest and greatest technogy.

Still the basic question is what has changed in FC9 that now it can not deal with two video cards that work independently in this environment. I'll go and visit Bugzilla and see what I can uncover.

D

Divit11
30th December 2008, 12:43 AM
Just thought I'd update this forum with the resolution to my dual video card installation. My thanks go out to Mauriat Miranda and his Fedora Nvidia Driver Install Guide:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html#pci_id

I determined that I should download and install the nVidia 96.43.xx driver. I followed MM's directions and with a little tweeking of the xorg.conf file after allowing nVidia to construct a new xorg.conf file I was able to even get Xinerama to function the way it use to in F8. The Readme file that nVidia provides with this driver was also helpful.

Hope this is of some help to others with one dark monitor.

Divit11