PDA

View Full Version : package managment?

DesolateOne
5th June 2008, 04:09 PM
Hello, I'm new to fedora, long time Debian based Linux user, and I have some questions about the package management of Fedora. Basically I'm wondering what my gui options are for package management, see Im used to using synaptic and coming to yum for me has been a difficult transition. Yum feels sluggish, is there a different front end I can use to manage packages, something quick, something I can select multiple packages to install at the same time, because as far as I can see I have to install each package individually with yum and it seems to be a painfully time consuming act as I wish to install several packages. Id rather not use the cli for package management.

Thanx for any help, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

JN4OldSchool
5th June 2008, 04:29 PM
A fellow Floridian! I am in the Leesburg area.

Try:

yum install yumex

This is the best front end for yum. You can also use synaptic, which is what you are used to, but I really suggest staying with yumex in fedora.

You can also install multiple packages on the CLI by just leaving a space between packages, ie. "yum install yumex packageb packagec" and so on.

fnmblot
5th June 2008, 04:30 PM
yumex is a great frontend to yum. I think it is very fast myself.

# yum install -y yumex

DesolateOne
5th June 2008, 04:33 PM
Hey thanx alot, Ill give yumex a shot, whats the deal with synaptic though? I can use synaptic in Fedora? And yes Im not too far from Tampa!

JN4OldSchool
5th June 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey thanx alot, Ill give yumex a shot, whats the deal with synaptic though? I can use synaptic in Fedora? And yes Im not too far from Tampa!

Yes, you can use synaptic with .rpm. You cannot, however, use .deb packages. Even though debian has, by far, the fullest repos, there really isnt much you will need that is not in the Fedora or Livna repos.

Install the yumex then use that to get synaptic if you wish, you can have both installed.

DesolateOne
5th June 2008, 04:49 PM
Thats great, thank you, I did not like yum at all, it took forever for info to come up on pkgs, and even to download and install. So Im gonna try out yumex first, Im excited about synaptic, is there any downside to using synaptic in Fedora?

JN4OldSchool
5th June 2008, 05:00 PM
Only that you are still using yum and pulling the packages from the Fedora repos. The question is, is there really any advantage? Only if you just got to have the Synaptic interface. Yumex is very equivalent, and I think more intuitive. Yum is just slower than apt-get, just the way it is. Yumex used to really add even more drag on the system but it has gotten pretty quick lately. I think the biggest bottleneck is the bandwidth of the Fedora servers.

I love debian and in a side by side with Fedora the package managment system (along with the upgrade ability) is a clear point to debian. Ironically, out of all the distros in the world, Fedora and debian are like twins! They really feel the same using them and I am not the only one who has noticed this. It is just ironic that these two distros represent the two main structural pillars of Linux. Sure, you have Gentoo, Slack (especially) and maybe one or two other main branches, but Fedora (out of Redhat) with rpm and debian with deb are the cornerstones.

lazlow
5th June 2008, 05:05 PM
You might want to look at smart. It is NOT just another front end for yum. It is in the standard repos.

yum install smart-gui

Unlike yum it does download multiple packages simultaneously. The downside is that it can be difficult to get repos setup. A lot of repos now have rpms to handle smarts repo setup (just like yum).

DesolateOne
5th June 2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah I tried Slack but I hate kde, the 3rd party gnome suites aren't worth writing home about, I the package management well...... Gentoo Id like to dabble with, and people keep screaming freebsd at me, so I dunno, Im going with Fedora for a bit.

JN4OldSchool
5th June 2008, 05:07 PM
You might want to look at smart. It is NOT just another front end for yum. It is in the standard repos.

Unlike yum it does download multiple packages simultaneously. The downside is that it can be difficult to get repos setup. A lot of repos now have rpms to handle smarts repo setup (just like yum).

This is all true! :)

Also, thanks for clarifying what was meant by downloading packages one at a time, I misunderstood that. I have not used Smart for over a year, I may look into it myself.