PDA

View Full Version : can't install software form the DVD

uaa
5th June 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi,
this is my first post.

I wonder why I can't install software from the DVD , it asks for internet connection .
I just got the fedora 9 DVD so it will has all the new programs and I won't need the internet to get why I need.
so I'm surprised .
fedora 8 worked fine with installing form DVD.
Thanks in advance.

dan.btown
5th June 2008, 03:28 PM
Hi uaa,

welcome aboard!

Pls. check if the information in the following threads / guides help solve your problem:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189596
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189273

In any event, if you solve your problem, pls. take a minute to write a post and tell us how you fixed it, so others can make use of your experience, too.

I'd also like to hear if you upraded to F9 or if you did a fresh install?

Cheers,

-- Dan

uaa
5th June 2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you for your respond. I'll try the solution.
It was a fresh install.

dan.btown
5th June 2008, 04:40 PM
It was a fresh install.
In this case I'd be particularly interested in the [InstallMedia] software repository definition in your directory /etc/yum.repos.d/ .

Pls. can you read through the files there, look for such a definition and post the contents of the respective definition here (in CODE tags, by clicking on the number sign above the field where you enter your post's text).

Thanks indeed,

-- Dan

uaa
5th June 2008, 10:19 PM
well I didn't find any file with "installmedia" in the /etc/yum.repos.d/
there were those files :
fedora.repo fedora-updates.repo fedora-rawhide.repo fedora-updates-testing.repo

the content of the fedora.repo:

[fedora]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-debuginfo]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-source]
name=Fedora $releasever - Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/source/SRPMS/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-source-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

this what I get when I select any tag from the right panal :
it search for a while then it show this meassage

"Problem connecting to a software source

Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: updates. Please verify its path and try again"

and I couldn't get any were by following the way you suggested in the other post.

dan.btown
6th June 2008, 05:21 PM
Hi uaa,

am I interpreting you first post right: Did you install from the DVD?

I couldn't get any were by following the way you suggested in the other post.
Did you try both threads? The second isn't mine, so I'm not sure from your answer that you indeed tried both.

Thx.,

-- Dan

uaa
6th June 2008, 07:22 PM
I tried the first and didn't find any thing to try in the second.
the message I get isn't there

"Problem connecting to a software source
Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: updates. Please verify its path and try again"

and yes I've the dvd

but the only change I get after trying your suggestion is that the dvd drive blink once and then nothing happen
but the package manager say it's updating software list and never finish. like what it dose before making fedora****.repo files or changing the original one in hdisk.

any way I have question:
Did any body try to install software from fedora 9 DVD and it worked for him?
If soo it might be my copy of the DVD which has the problem.

any way don't worry, I love GNU/linux and will stay with it.
I have Xubuntu working just fine ,but I liked to try fedora because it seems faster and I heard it's more advanced.

dan.btown
6th June 2008, 07:50 PM
OK, step by step:

If you don't have yumex installed, install it.

You can download it from here:
http://fr2.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/9/i386/yumex-2.0.4-1.fc9.noarch.html

Open a console, change to the directory where you put the RPM and issue:

rpm -Uhv yumex*rpm
This should install yumex, and you should now find an entry 'Yum Extender' in the menues of your GUI.

I'm sure you've followed step 3 of the guide http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189596, because this is what you say.

If nothing else helps, try renaming all other files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ (that is, every file that does not result from the above mentioned step 3) step by step by extending their name with ".bak", until you see at least the install media displayed as a software ressource in Yumex. (Don't forget to press the refresh / reload button below the Repository view of Yumex, otherwise you will have little fun.)

Pls. try this before we go on.

Thx.,

-- Dan

dan.btown
6th June 2008, 08:15 PM
Did any body try to install software from fedora 9 DVD and it worked for him?
Yes, us, and appearently many others, considered the mass of questions about this.

If soo it might be my copy of the DVD which has the problem.
Not necessarily.

What does

ls /dev/dvd*
return for you?

-- Dan

uaa
8th June 2008, 11:13 AM
Thank you for your help, but it seems like the package manager has a big problem.
I've heard that many people are having problems with it. So I'll wait until fedora fix it .
right now I'll stick to Ubuntu.
Thank you very much. you seem very nice and helpful.
I don't have enough space on hard drive to keep fedora so I removed it.

dan.btown
8th June 2008, 01:24 PM
Thank you for your help,
You're always welcome.

but it seems like the package manager has a big problem.
That's why I suggested using yumex.

I've heard that many people are having problems with it. So I'll wait until fedora fix it .
Updated packages are already available online, however, I understand that you may have to have access to the install media because it may contain packages that some users need to get online at all.

On the other hand, updated packages for the package management machinery (it's not one big package, but many small ones, since the machinery consists of many bits and pieces) may not be able to fix all problems that arouse during upgrade or fresh install.

For example, if the install or upgrade procedure misses to register the Install Media as a software repository, it is very unlikely that package updating alone will fix this. Instead, this issue is likely to need user (= human) attention and 90 seconds of manual work. ;)

Thank you very much. you seem very nice and helpful.
I can get very NASTY, really! *roar* :D

I don't have enough space on hard drive to keep fedora so I removed it.
*sigh*

uaa
10th June 2008, 05:14 PM
I've come back and reinstalled fedora and the problem still on.

uaa
10th June 2008, 09:13 PM
I've did the same as you told in your posts again and I finally made packages appear and I can see the packages but I can't install them when I press 'install' but all the information about the packages are there.
how ever using yum install PackageName
made me able to install some packages form the cd but the GUI isn't working.
to get the package full name I use yum list
I wish I'll have time to learn yum.
still wondering if synaptic package manager was licensed under gpl why to create a new one which has less features.

this is my installmedia repo file:

[InstallMedia]
name=Fedora 9
mediaid=1210211556.020306
metadata_expire=-1
gpgcheck=0
cost=500
baseurl=file:///media/f9

I've also added .bak to all the other files in the yum.repos.d folder

dan.btown
11th June 2008, 01:04 AM
Hi uaa,

thx. for giving it another try. :)

So many more questions:

<...> and I can see the packages but I can't install them when I press 'install' but all the information about the packages are there.
Does this say you are now using Yumex rather than the package manager GUI that came with the distro?
What does "I can't install" mean exactly? Does something happen? Do you get an error message? Or does nothing happen?

but the GUI isn't working.
Does this say the Graphical User Interface is not working alltogether (neither GNOME nor KDE nor anything else)? Or does this say Yumex as a GUI for yum doesn't work?

this is my installmedia repo file:
Well, clearly the file media.repo from the install media should be the same for everyone, because everyone who downloads, downloads the same ISO image.

I've also added .bak to all the other files in the yum.repos.d folder
So the install media is now the only repository displayed in Yumex or listed by yum? Is this so?

And, finally

What does

ls /dev/dvd*
return for you?

Cheers,

-- Dan

uaa
11th June 2008, 07:38 AM
Does this say you are now using Yumex rather than the package manager GUI that came with the distro?
What does "I can't install" mean exactly? Does something happen? Do you get an error message? Or does nothing happen?

no Yumex needed previliges even root doesn't have!
and nothing happens when I click on install, it's dead.

Does this say the Graphical User Interface is not working alltogether (neither GNOME nor KDE nor anything else)? Or does this say Yumex as a GUI for yum doesn't work?
I meant that there are problems in yum GUI. can't function probably like for example the install button that doesn't work.

So the install media is now the only repository displayed in Yumex or listed by yum? Is this so?
yes. it's the only one.

But the surprise is that after that I can't log in as root or as normal user.
may be because I installed kernel header and some other files. every time I put my user name and password it seems to accept it , the screen blink twice and I'm out to the log in screen again.
This fedora doesn't want to make it easy for normal users does it?

dan.btown
12th June 2008, 12:29 AM
This fedora doesn't want to make it easy for normal users does it?
Oh wow, the turn from F8 to F9 doesn't even make it easy for medium experienced users and enlightend gurus. *tearing own hairs*
And if it works or not is sometimes so ... mmmh ... erratic, moderatly put.

But all this won't solve your issues; so let's go ahead.

no Yumex needed previliges even root doesn't have!
Is this the error message you get: "You don't have the necessary privileges to install local packages."?

and nothing happens when I click on install, it's dead.
<...>
I meant that there are problems in yum GUI. can't function probably like for example the install button that doesn't work.
What's irritating about your words is that there's no button called "Install" in Yumex. Are you talking about the Button "Process Queue" (or similar wording) at the right lower corner of the Yumex window?

may be because I installed kernel header
Unless you want to build / compile software using kernel routines it shouldn't be necessary to install the kernel header package.

But the surprise is that after that I can't log in as root or as normal user.
may be because I installed kernel header and some other files. every time I put my user name and password it seems to accept it , the screen blink twice and I'm out to the log in screen again.
Can you please create a file named /etc/sysconfig/desktop and put into it the following

DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
and restart your machine. (Don't press [CTRL] + [ALT] + [BCKSP] -- the change will only take effect when you fully restart.)

This will change your login manager from GDM to KDM. I wonder if you still experience the same behaviour as you reported.

In general, don't use yumex when logged in as root. It's better (that is, saver for your system) to login as a non-root user and enter the root password when asked for it after starting yumex.

-- Dan

dan.btown
12th June 2008, 12:43 AM
And uaa,

pls. open a terminal and enter the command:

ls /dev/dvd*
What does it report?

I'm asking this the 3rd time now and it's somewhat pointless to go on without this information.

-- Dan

uaa
13th June 2008, 12:36 PM
sorry for bening late to replay but I've had exams and just finished the last most important one yesterday.
yes this is the error I got when I tried to install yumex.

You don't have the necessary privileges to install local packages
I didn't have clue at that time how to install form command line. so I gave up.

What's irritating about your words is that there's no button called "Install" in Yumex. Are you talking about the Button "Process Queue" (or similar wording) at the right lower corner of the Yumex window?
obviously we aren't talking about the same program. the one I'm talking about is the one appears when I press add/remove software on something like that.

synaptic is the graphical user interface for apt.
is yumex the graphical user interface for yum.

any the way you suggested to login didn't work.
so I can't tell you what is the result of ls

/dev/dvd*

it seems like I can't depend on fedora it's not stable. many people says fedora is great but not for beginners I say.
but as I always love to learn and understand every thing in linux world I would appreciate it if I could get help fix this problem with login.

may be I should start another post about the login problem, or may you can refer me to one to fix it.

dan.btown
13th June 2008, 12:59 PM
OK uaa,

everyone in this forum is a fedora user, not a fedora developer. This implies that everyone who seeks to support you puts in her or his spare time.

I can't speak for others members, let alone a majority of them, but I can speak for me. Thus let me put clear that I can not go on spending time on your issue if you decide to say "I did do this" when in fact you did do that.

Yes, we don't talk about the same programm, because:

Yumex is a front-end to yum which you can download from the location I stated in post # 8 above and which can be installed in the way described at that very post. Thus clearly, it is not the application already installed.
Yumex has its full name written across its title bar in friendly letters. It reads "Yum Extender".

My offer to help you is bound to the use of Yumex; it is not valid for the software already installed.

Pls. confirm before we can go on.

-- Dan

uaa
13th June 2008, 05:33 PM
:(
sorry

any way I can't use any of them right now because I can't login neither from GUI nor command line and I get when login from command line:
no shell , permission denied.

when yumex didn't work first I just removed fedora , but I didn't know how to install it I tried from root account and from normal user account it didn't work . then I read that I can install it from command line but that was after I removed fedora, sorry.

dan.btown
13th June 2008, 11:07 PM
Uaa,

don't get me wrong: You are of course free to proceed with your machine in whatever way you like and I'm far from forcing you to do something special. All I say is: We have to synchronize communication in some way so as to make sure we talk about the same things and make efficient use of the valuable time of us.

For the package manager issue: I think this is easy to solve and actually won't take much time (that is, in the order of minutes), provided that we improve communication and both of us "say what we mean / see". The issue is frequently reported here in the forums and it is in my opinion well understood how to fix it.

For the login and shell issue: I'm not sure how to fix this and you made propably the right suggestion to start a new thread concering it. Then, if the package manager problem persists, pls. come back here and we'll straighten it out.

Don't hesitate to ask in case of further questions,

-- Dan

uaa
14th June 2008, 11:02 AM
Ok

uaa
3rd September 2008, 03:07 PM
Dear dan.btown:
I solved it by renaming all the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ but the one from the CD. that you told me to copy from it
I tried it with yumex. and worked fine.