PDA

View Full Version : Boot errors

James Board
4th June 2008, 10:36 PM
Lately, my FC-8 system has been "locking up" (I can't move the mouse, or use the keyboard). When I try to reboot I usually (but not always: every so often it boots successfully), I get this error message (not verbatim):

Uncompressing Linux

CRC error

system halted

I'm not an advanced Linux user, but I know one thing: this is bad. My question is this: how bad? Can I somehow create a new boot image and everything will be fine? Do I have to reinstall Linux? Do I have to throw away the hard drive altogether? Can I recover data from the hard drive?

James

glennzo
4th June 2008, 11:43 PM
Keep trying to get it to boot. When it does, see if you can backup whatever you need. Then go buy a new drive.

James Board
4th June 2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I already did that. Copied my entire home directory to a USB hard drive. Does it really sound the hard drive is a lost cause? It's only three months old....

Maybe now's a good time to upgrade to FC 9.

James

JEO
5th June 2008, 12:06 AM
I have seen CRC error when uncompressing linux due to memory problems or overclocking. So have a look at those too.

glennzo
5th June 2008, 12:08 AM
No. Probably the best thing to do is to get the diagnostic tools from the manufacturers' web site. Use them to see if the drive checks out OK. Maybe there's a real good Linux tool available to check the drive. However, I don't think CRC errors are a good sign.

James Board
5th June 2008, 12:09 AM
That's interesting. I have previously had lots of problems with this machine while booting. It woudn't even give me beep codes. I "solved" it by reseating the memory sticks. That sounds like the obvious next step.

JEO
5th June 2008, 12:14 AM
Sometimes I take an eraser to the memory board edge contacts to clean off some of the oxidation that builds up over time, you could try that.

James Board
6th June 2008, 02:42 AM
The advice on the memory problems was most helpful. I got rid of one of the memory sticks and the machine has been problem-free for about 24 hours. Thanks!

James

JEO
6th June 2008, 05:48 AM
You're welcome, glad to hear it :)