PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 - problem with Xorg

dancuc
3rd June 2008, 03:40 PM
I've installed recent kmod-nvidia drivers. It fits my kernel version, but I wasn't sure if the graphic card itself is supported. It is Geforce 4200 Titanium, a very old card, and on Fedora 8 I've used kmod-nvidia-96xx for it. I was right, it probably wasn't for my graphic card, because now the X server won't start. I'm booting now into runlevel 3, a multiuser text mode. Is there any chance to get my Xorg back working? I don't have any backup of xorg.conf, I now, I was in think that I have one. The error after startx command is mainly "no screen found" followed with some debug info, it usually ends with "giving up" and exiting the program. Thanks in advance for any help.

cloneu2
3rd June 2008, 04:17 PM
Delete your xorg.conf file and the system will build a new one...OR
rename it to xorg.conf123 to save a copy of what you had

madopal
3rd June 2008, 04:22 PM
Try:
yum remove kmod-nvidia

And see if it restores your xorg. If not, open your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In there should be a section that has
Driver "nvidia" or Driver "nv"

Switch it to whichever one it isn't. That should be the open source equivalent.

Hlingler
3rd June 2008, 07:17 PM
I've installed recent kmod-nvidia drivers. It fits my kernel version, but I wasn't sure if the graphic card itself is supported. It is Geforce 4200 Titanium, a very old card, and on Fedora 8 I've used kmod-nvidia-96xx for it. I was right, it probably wasn't for my graphic card, because now the X server won't start. I'm booting now into runlevel 3, a multiuser text mode. Is there any chance to get my Xorg back working? I don't have any backup of xorg.conf, I now, I was in think that I have one. The error after startx command is mainly "no screen found" followed with some debug info, it usually ends with "giving up" and exiting the program. Thanks in advance for any help.That nvidia chipset won't work with the current 173.14.05 driver, and nvidia has not yet even mentioned whether or not they intend to update either the legacy 96xx or 71xx series drivers to support the new X11R7.4/Xorg-1.4.99*, so.... I've tried the legacy drivers, and I would say that you're better off using the open-source "nv" or "nouveau" drivers that come with Fedora.

V

dancuc
3rd June 2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for help, I've deleted the xorg.conf file and then run the command 'startx'. It's working now. So if they will not release 96xx driver, I'll try nouveau, I've heard about it in past.