PDA

View Full Version : Printer Config - Won't accept password?

Mertahn
3rd June 2008, 02:27 AM
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any information on it.

I just upgraded to Fedora 9 (32-bit), and among other things I noticed the printer configuration window seems to have changed a bit. It asks me to enter my root password, but no matter how carefully I type the password, it doesn't seem to accept it. (And yes, I checked Caps-Lock. ;) )

I know the CUPS web interface has given me similar grief for some time (and is doing so now, in fact), but it seems I am locked completely out of my printer settings.

So, how can I fix this? (Assuming it's broken.) Alternatively, should I be entering a different username/password combo?

Thanks!

die-nmi!
10th June 2008, 08:20 PM
Same here on fedora 9 64 bit. For the first time the password is accepted. As soon as you change some settings the cups frontend goes into a neverending loop of asking for the root password. localhost:631 on your webbrowser (this is how configuration on cups is meant to be) helps. Anyway I am preparing for a very big bug report on cups right now. Just looking for posts with similar problems...

AsM0DeUz
7th July 2008, 11:03 AM
I've the same problem as you !!! First password accepted then after having changed something the same password isn't accepted anymore

Regards

PS : i'm using fed9 too

cyberia81
30th July 2008, 04:58 PM
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I can't configure my MFC-465CN because it won't accept my password. I thought I was going crazy until I found this thread.

SlowJet
30th July 2008, 05:45 PM
BZ# 215133 sure sounds like the problem.
If it is fixed somewhere maybe you need to update F9 (and/or check if any F8,F7,F6 packages are installed for cups, pam, UT-8, whatever does not seem current for F9.

One other thought, try changing your passwords with the password program.
F9 is now sha256/shadow.

SJ

DCOH
31st July 2008, 07:34 AM
If you are using System>Administration>Printing then you need to change the name to root then use root password. Cups uses root for user and root password.