PDA

View Full Version : Is there any one who feel comfortable with FC9? I've encountered so many problems...

Cyberman
2nd June 2008, 07:55 AM
1. Wireless doesn't work with the default installation, I've to install mod-wifi, which bring a new kernel 2.6.25.3-18 that I can't find out the source code in www.kernel.org. For using it fine, but I have to program for some driver, which need the source code of the kernel.
And after I've installed mod-wifi, the old kernel can still boot, but it can't find the wireless-NIC now.

2. After I've stopped NetworkManager, which is the default but I don't like it, the NIC can't be bring up when the system boot up. I have to bring it up manually every time after the system booted. I've checked ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-wlan0, both with ONBOOT=yes.

3. Suspend/Resume can't work anymore. After I suspend the computer which seems fine, press the power button cannot bring it back. I've used FC8 with the same computer and it work very well.

4. I can't figure out how to set the login window now. This maybe is because the change of GNOME, but its website only said setting for GDM have been split into to parts, and we should use Front-end 'Greeter', but where is it?

5. During installation, if I create partition manually, after I specified the partition size, it always rearrange the location of the partitions. it seems just specify the start and end sectors will bypass that problem, but is not convenient.

6. I've installed xfce also, but the only choices in the login window is GNOME and KDE.

7. Will I try to reboot the system, some times it will stopped during 'unload modules', I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del several times and it continued. And there is also a little problem that the messages will display in other consoles, and the current console only display a cursor.

There a still some other problems I think it's little bugs and I'm tired to type it out.

I think if Fedora just want to be some Fedora fan's toy, then it's OK. If it want to compete as a server with FreeBSD, it's far from stable; If it want to compete with Windows as a desktop, it should remain consistent between different versions, and should make it easy to learn. Is there any one think that the end user can read a hundred-page book to get the system installed correctly, and still need another hundred-page book to use it?

For Linux OS fans, I think the better is LFS, not Fedora. So now I'm confused about the orientation of Fedora.

The only best thing I've get from FC8 to FC9 is that FC9 used less memory than FC8.

Cyberman
2nd June 2008, 07:57 AM
Bye the way, ask another question:
How to start SCIM in Fedora if I use English? RHEL enabled it by default if I've installed our language.

SlowJet
2nd June 2008, 08:39 AM
su -
setenforce 0
yum clean all --enablerepo=updates-testing
yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing
touch /.autorelabel
reboot

SJ

leigh123linux
2nd June 2008, 09:59 AM

Try this as you have some missing packages !

su
yum install xfce4-session

or

su
yum groupinstall "XFCE"

thunderogg
2nd June 2008, 10:09 AM
I feel VERY comfortable with F9! For me it works way much better than F8! :)

forkbomb
2nd June 2008, 02:52 PM
1. Wireless doesn't work with the default installation, I've to install mod-wifi, which bring a new kernel 2.6.25.3-18 that I can't find out the source code in www.kernel.org. For using it fine, but I have to program for some driver, which need the source code of the kernel.
And after I've installed mod-wifi, the old kernel can still boot, but it can't find the wireless-NIC now.

You shouldn't need to get the kernel sources from kernel.org because they've already been packaged in the Fedora repositories. To install the headers:

yum install kernel-devel

For full source, I think it's

yum install kernel-source

Don't qoute me on the second one, but I think that's the package name. Usually the kernel headers (included in the kernel-devel package) are enough to build kernel modules and compile other stuff. Full kernel sources are rarely needed.

A.Serbinski
2nd June 2008, 05:46 PM
Wow.

Funny, I found that F9 was the FIRST OS I'VE EVER installed where wifi *just worked* without any additional driver installation. Mileage varies though, what wifi card do you have?

2. After I've stopped NetworkManager, which is the default but I don't like it, the NIC can't be bring up when the system boot up. I have to bring it up manually every time after the system booted. I've checked ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-wlan0, both with ONBOOT=yes.
I think that the key point you made is that YOU don't like it. *I* like it, as do many others. You've taken it upon yourself to change the defaults, therefore you are assuming responsibility and it is not a fault of the OS. You might try "chkconfig network on".

3. Suspend/Resume can't work anymore. After I suspend the computer which seems fine, press the power button cannot bring it back. I've used FC8 with the same computer and it work very well.
Never used it, can't comment.

4. I can't figure out how to set the login window now. This maybe is because the change of GNOME, but its website only said setting for GDM have been split into to parts, and we should use Front-end 'Greeter', but where is it?
Not ready yet. This new version of gnome requires some significant changes to be made to the login config program. Be patient.

5. During installation, if I create partition manually, after I specified the partition size, it always rearrange the location of the partitions. it seems just specify the start and end sectors will bypass that problem, but is not convenient.
Again, you have taken it upon yourself to be the expert here, therefore this point is irrelevant.

6. I've installed xfce also, but the only choices in the login window is GNOME and KDE.
Good luck with that.

7. Will I try to reboot the system, some times it will stopped during 'unload modules', I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del several times and it continued. And there is also a little problem that the messages will display in other consoles, and the current console only display a cursor.
Have you performed an update yet?

There a still some other problems I think it's little bugs and I'm tired to type it out.
The distinction between Fedora and RHEL....

I think if Fedora just want to be some Fedora fan's toy, then it's OK.
It is what it is. Fedora is a very quickly evolving OS, loaded with bugs, and lots of fun. If you want stability, use RHEL.

If it want to compete as a server with FreeBSD, it's far from stable;
Again, Fedora = unstable. RHEL = stable. Use that which is meant for the purpose you need.

If it want to compete with Windows as a desktop, it should remain consistent between different versions,
You haven't pointed out any inconsistencies. If you want it to be the same, then stick with the same version. The whole POINT in a new version is that its DIFFERENT.

and should make it easy to learn. Is there any one think that the end user can read a hundred-page book to get the system installed correctly, and still need another hundred-page book to use it?
The regular user can put the disk in the drive, turn the computer on, keep pressing "next", and all will be well.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

[quote]The only best thing I've get from FC8 to FC9 is that FC9 used less memory than FC8.
You might want to read the release notes: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/
Also note that there is no "C" between "F" and "9". The "C" was for "Core", which last had relevance in FC6.

bbfuller
2nd June 2008, 11:30 PM
Hello Cyberman

No matter how much you select it during install, in Fedora 9 xfce never gets installed and so it won't appear as an option for you to log in to.

If you do a:

yum groupinstall "XFCE"

from a terminal window it will fix that one.

By the way, I've got Atheros, Broadcom and Intel wireless cards here and I can say that Fedora 9 is the best yet for controlling them - using NetworkManager.

One of the things in F9 that really does work well.

forkbomb
3rd June 2008, 02:16 AM
Wow.

That was some pretty painstaking answering.

Anyway, as to the login screen "issue" (6?), what's wrong with starting an XFCE session from KDM or GDM anyway? They're both flexible and will allow you to do just fine starting up sessions for many DEs and WMs. KDM and GDM are highly skinnable, and gnome-look.org and kde-look.org even have many themes that skin KDM and GDM to be XFCE-themed.

marko
3rd June 2008, 02:29 AM
Fedora isn't necessarily that unstable, just use the previous iteration,
right now F9 is the latest and quirky but F8 is pretty stable.

juanfgs
3rd June 2008, 03:05 AM
Anyway, as to the login screen "issue" (6?), what's wrong with starting an XFCE session from KDM or GDM anyway? They're both flexible and will allow you to do just fine starting up sessions for many DEs and WMs. KDM and GDM are highly skinnable, and gnome-look.org and kde-look.org even have many themes that skin KDM and GDM to be XFCE-themed.

I think you are missing the point to Cyberman problem, he complains about not being able to start XFCE using GDM. However that problem has been already posted I think it's solved in this thread (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189107&highlight=gdm+xfce) (he should have searched first).