PDA

View Full Version : F9 SCIM & emacs

Xinef
2nd June 2008, 06:43 AM
Hello,
My problem is emacs seems to bypass SCIM on one of my F9 installations.
A few points:
- SCIM works on every other program, it only fails in emacs.
- I have installed 2 machines with the same fedora CD, both i686, one can use SCIM under emacs, the other cannot...
- SCIM being present in the taskbar, I have tried to activate it using the mouse. It is active but somehow, the characters I type are directly caught by emacs and there is no conversion accessible (I usually input Japanese)
- If I ssh -X to this troublesome machine from an OK one, and open emacs, I get the exact same problem.
- This is not a user dependent issue.

So I expect some emacs global setting to be wrong on this machine, but I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all packages for both emacs and scim and the problem is still there.
Since all other machines can handle SCIM properly, I am not willing to switch to mule.
If anyone knows about emacs and how to configure its input, please put me on the right direction.

Hobashira
2nd June 2008, 10:58 AM
I do not know emacs so I do not know whether what I am suggesting will help.

Try running $im-chooser from terminal.

(It may take 10 to 15 seconds before a window appears so be patient.)

Then check "Enable input method feature"

Again it takes a few moments then "USE SCIM (recommended)" should appear.

Log out, then log back in.

Xinef
2nd June 2008, 12:46 PM
Hello,

Enabling IM and selecting SCIM is how I got it working for all other programs.
Actually this is not a general setting, but a private one (somewhere in ~/.gnome? or so).
My problem is emacs-specific only, SCIM works for everything else.
This is even more frustrating to have multiple installs of F9 and only one showing this problem...

scottro
3rd June 2008, 01:52 AM
Can you create another user and see if they have the problem as well?

You might try something

XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM' GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" LC_CTYPE=<whatever> emacs

and see if that works. (I don't use emacs, so I have no idea if this will work or not.)

RupertPupkin
3rd June 2008, 08:50 AM
Enabling IM and selecting SCIM is how I got it working for all other programs.
Actually this is not a general setting, but a private one (somewhere in ~/.gnome? or so).
My problem is emacs-specific only, SCIM works for everything else.
See if this helps:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=717573&postcount=3

Xinef
4th June 2008, 01:49 AM
See if this helps:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=717573&postcount=3
Well, I have setup the japanese environment in .emacs
Since I prefer anthy, I also have installed anthy for emacs so my problem is half solved, and your solution is pretty much the same thing.
My real problem is not about mule, but about why does / can emacs shortcut SCIM ?
I guess this is too much of a rare case. If lucky, some update will fix it sometimes soon...

Xinef
4th June 2008, 02:26 AM
Can you create another user and see if they have the problem as well?

You might try something

XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM' GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" LC_CTYPE=<whatever> emacs

and see if that works. (I don't use emacs, so I have no idea if this will work or not.)It is not user related, so I'll have to set this on the machine's configuration.
On the other hand, thanks for the tip, running
XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM' emacs
did the trick.
I now need to find where in the other machines this is setup to do the same thing on this one.

scottro
4th June 2008, 02:32 AM
Sorry, I missed that part about it not being user dependent, you did say that in your first post.
Glad it worked. I usually set XMODIFIERS on the command line (or use a script to do it, e.g. lang.sh <program> with lang.sh just being XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM' ${1+"$@"} &
(I have a second one which I need for Firefox and OpenOffice, where I have to set the LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8--for everything else, setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 works.)

There are all sorts of possibilities. :) Maybe this is the one time where scim was installed before emacs or vice versa, and one beat the other to making the settings. That im-switcher might even do it for you, but I don't use im-switcher (is that its name? I don't remember), so I'm not sure.

Xinef
5th June 2008, 03:21 AM
The thing is, the IM switcher is only changing user-level settings...
Anyway, in the meantime, that will have to do.
Cheers