PDA

View Full Version : can't get the gui mode

pskarthic
1st June 2008, 12:43 PM
:) Hi everybody i am a new user to linux environment,

I installed federo release 9 in my system but i skipped some of the software packages installations but i have installed gnome

MY Problem is

whenever system boots it only go to terminal localhost login i want to go to gui mode how to get it please help me

sidebrnz
1st June 2008, 09:23 PM
Try running startx from a command line. If X is working, that will start if. If that works, In either case, let us know what happens and we'll go on from there.

saturday_sun
2nd June 2008, 10:37 PM
I actually had the same problem - I installed Fedora 9 with the text based installation instead and it worked. But later, booting up the operating system I got to a menu where i could make some settings (?), I choose the option to setup my xwindow system, but then the screen became black again - and i recieved an error message from my monitor.
I can start x with "startx" or init 5 - but then i can't change "session" etc. Is there a way to config the "interactive startup sequence" and make it start the x and the "login-screen"?

I got a graphics card with the nvidia 8500 GT gpu.

Regards,
tobias

hubiedo
3rd June 2008, 03:00 AM
have you tried to use the edit command on the grub menu when it comes up. i had a similar problem and changed the linux boot line to add " display 1078x724" then boot it. i had a acer al1706 and it came up then in gui. then i edited the display i think it was in applications > appearance (not sure) but can find it on top left of gui screen i think third item from left side.

JohnVV
3rd June 2008, 04:00 AM
it dose sound like a graphics card problem .Are you using a desktop or laptop .
ether way adding 1024x768 to xorg.conf might do it
see my post
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=190466
for editing xorg.conf

hubiedo
3rd June 2008, 05:01 AM
edited.

sorry johnvv i thought i was replying to the original inquiry!

my further explanation of info, prv post & suggestions for him below:

i read your post prv. i am running a desktop. when the grub screen comes up to choose i.e. windows / fc9?? i think you can hit edit (or something similar) then it will open up the actual grub command lines that you the highlight the longest line and hit "e" for edit?? then add "display 1024x768" to the end of the line. then my computer booted with the gui and when i went into admin>display it will take the settings once you get it close to right and it comes up when you boot that way. it is not permanent just to get you loaded up. at least it worked that way for me.

once i got in as above then the admin>display held my settings just fine, permanently. no further editing required for mine. it is worth a try and if it doesn't work you can try another display setting or do the xorg conf edit.

the post about editing the xorg config file may do it also and be permanent. at least one of these should get you there.

i fought w/ mine for days then read the book and it suggested exactly that in my fc7 bible. you can also run system-config-display from command line w/o gui and try to set the display that way. i just couldn't get it to allow me reset the install display settings that it put in until i did the deal during the grub boot process as above.

let me know if you have any further questions. i probably didn't explain it very well.

hubie

Chetanji
4th June 2008, 06:48 PM
To All,

I have this same problem with my laptop using Nvidia GeoForce
See this page with Video information about the Fedora 9 bug concerning this.

http://lwn.net/Articles/283291/

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Chetanji :)

pskarthic
7th June 2008, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the support

I installed federo without skipping any package(the default) then get the gui mode

My Another problem is
It is very slow whenever i want to run some programs(Movie player) it take more than 5 mins to get ready, Here is my PC Configuration list

intel 865 mother board
pentium 2.6 ghz procesor
256 mb ddr ram
80 gb hard disk(20 gb for linux)

i also stoppes unnecesary services(printer)
what to do to get it fast

JohnVV
7th June 2008, 03:40 AM
pskarthic
"It is very slow whenever i want to run some programs(Movie player) it take more than 5 mins "
it sounds like it is a problem with the built in graphics chip set driver . I would buy a 3d card, nvidia is preferred .
what is the output of glxgears ( use the left/right,up/down keys)

~]$ glxgears
4344 frames in 5.0 seconds = 868.794 FPS
4356 frames in 5.0 seconds = 871.194 FPS
4712 frames in 5.0 seconds = 942.295 FPS
4611 frames in 5.0 seconds = 922.110 FPS
4508 frames in 5.0 seconds = 901.561 FPS
4444 frames in 5.0 seconds = 888.797 FPS
4530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 905.817 FPS

you should have similar FPS
i am on on an old Dell ( 2001) with a old nvidia Gforce MX 400 ,512 ram
if not then buy a card .

Chetanji
7th June 2008, 08:10 AM
My Another problem is
It is very slow whenever i want to run some programs(Movie player) it take more than 5 mins to get ready, Here is my PC Configuration list

intel 865 mother board
pentium 2.6 ghz procesor
256 mb ddr ram
80 gb hard disk(20 gb for linux)

i also stoppes unnecesary services(printer)
what to do to get it fast

Before I do anything else I would upgrade your physical memory to at least 2GB.
It makes an unbelievably positive difference in performance.
Memory is not that expensive today. Buy a quality brand name as well.

Remember, graphics is always the last item dealt with by the CPU. So graphics tend to be slower. For this reason they began to put memory on the graphics card years ago.

I guarantee if you upgrade your memory like I advise you will see remarkable change in a positive way.

Chetanji

sidebrnz
7th June 2008, 08:09 PM
Not everybody can do that, Chetanji. In my case, my 1.8Ghz motherboard can only hold 1 GB Currently, I have 256MB and my machine runs very snappy now. What I needed wasn't more RAM on the motherboard, it was more on the video card. I found a very nice card with 128M (with a $15 rebate to make it even nicer) to replace my old one with 32M, and things are Much Better now, except for occasional lockups. (Maybe a problem with all the new stuff I've got to take advantage of the better graphics.) I'd also like to point out that it's very easy to throw somebody else's money at a problem, and it's not a Good Idea to Ass-U-Me that whoever you're trying to help has money to burn on hardware. I certainly don't, and without a recent windfall I'd still have the old card because there's no way I could have afforded the upgrade. I'm not flaming you, understand, just pointing out that you need to take into account that there are people out there running on older machines because that's all they can manage, and trying to make the best of it.

JohnVV
8th June 2008, 05:41 AM
in defense of Chetanji ,pskarthic 256 is a bit low and upping it to 512
the first listing on Google
----
$36.99
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2259670
or adding 256 more to make 512 ( if the board has 4 slots )
$20.99
http://www.beachaudio.com/Kingston/Kvr333x72c25256-p-10740.html?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=reg&utm_term=kvr333x72c25256&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froogle&GTKW=kvr333x72c25256&GCID=C12585x003
----
and my OLD 64MB nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 AGP VMX40064A
$36.54
http://www.compuvest.us/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=286573
---
this card wont run fedora 9 but runs 8 fine with the livina legacy kmod-nvidia-96xx-2.6.25.4-10.fc8-96.43.05-12.lvn8.i586.rpm