PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Fedora9

creeping death
31st May 2008, 06:33 PM
I have an internet usage constraint...I want to download Fedora9 from a mirror, but because of the time constraint I cannot download the entire image at a stretch at the same time...so I need a download manager, which has resume capabilities.

So, I was wondering, if I choose to download the fedora9 image with the help of Firefox's inbuilt download manager,(pausing the download and resuming it again later)?
And if not which download manager would you recommend? I am on Fedora8 currently.
And do all the mirrors support resume capability?

Thanks in advance...

notageek
31st May 2008, 06:40 PM
The best download manager is perhaps a bittorrent client (Azureus maybe). Bittorrent clients not only have the ability to resume later, but also does a hash check on each section of file downloaded.

So once downloaded you can be sure that the file isn't corrupt or anything.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

creeping death
31st May 2008, 06:57 PM
but bittorrent clients speed isnt as high as downloading from a mirrors...If you guys say that resuming download form a mirror is not advisable/possible then I will surely go for bittorrent, using ktorrent , and is there an azureus for linux too?

notageek
31st May 2008, 07:04 PM
Bittorrent speeds are comparable to a mirror download, you have to make sure that to allow encryption and give unlimited upload bandwidth to get good speeds.

Azureus is available for Linux too. I think since its written in java it can run on any platform.

However if you can get a windows box somewhere and use uTorrent, its going to give you the best speed possible, unfortunately its not available in Linux.

creeping death
31st May 2008, 07:15 PM
ok...bittorrent it is...
just three more questions regarding the download...
my processor is core2due E6300 would it support the x86_64 version of Fedora9?
suppose I download the x86 version, should I upgrade my fedora8 or should I do a fresh install again?
would it be possible to upgrade my current i386 fedora8 to x86_64 Fedora9?And would you guys recommend it?
thanks...

jent
31st May 2008, 07:36 PM
I don't know if this will work for you....but you could just do a net install so you only pull down the packages you need too

Also I do not believe you can jump from 386 to 64bit very easily if at all....i would just do a clean install

creeping death
31st May 2008, 07:47 PM
I don't know if this will work for you....but you could just do a net install so you only pull down the packages you need too

whats a "net install" , does that mean that I do not need to download the Fedora9 image?

and can I install x86_64 version?

robatino
31st May 2008, 08:37 PM
For a network install, you download the file Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso, which is a little over 100 MB, burn it to a CD, and boot from it while connected to the network. When it prompts you for a path to download files from, give it something like

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Fedora/i386/os/

(adjust to suit) and it will download the packages needed. I don't remember whether you enter the protocol (http, ftp, etc.) in the URL or specify that separately.

Regarding bittorrent vs. direct download speed, it's been over 2 weeks since F9 came out, and it should be easy at this point to get a full speed direct download. Also, with bittorrent, though it's not mandatory, it's considered polite to seed to at least a ratio of 1 (meaning uploading at least as much as downloading) and with your usual asymmetric connection, it may be difficult to upload that much.

Edit: If you want 64-bit, there's a separate netinst.iso file in the corresponding x86_64 directory for that. The one I specified above is for 32-bit.

creeping death
31st May 2008, 08:42 PM
thanks a lot you guys!
but can anyone please tell me if I can run a x86_64 version of Fedora?

I have an Intel Core2Duo 6300 processor.

marko
31st May 2008, 08:53 PM
All core 2 cpus are 64bit capable

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core2

creeping death
31st May 2008, 08:56 PM
ok , wow!! thanks a lot for helping me out guys!!
I just need one more slight clarification suppose I choose to do a net install or download an x86_64 image of Fedora9, will I be able to upgrade my current i386 to x86_64 or will I have to install the x86_64 afresh??

A.Serbinski
2nd June 2008, 05:04 PM
Use wget from the command line.

wget -c pathandfilename

the "-c" means "continue", ie, resume.

You can stop it whenever you like and issue the same command to resume it.

creeping death
2nd June 2008, 06:26 PM
thanks for all your inputs guys...@A.Serbinski thats a great help, will do that next time i am downloading something big...

i m on fedora9...just one more question, where can i find the system information, like windows give , like :

windows xp service pack 2 build : xxxxx

something like

fedora 9 (sulphur)

you know stuff like that...

roachy
2nd June 2008, 07:08 PM
you can:

cat /proc/version

and

cat /etc/issue

:)

creeping death