PDA

View Full Version : RAID 0 problem

ajithkgs
31st May 2008, 08:17 AM
Hi guys,

Forgive me, if this was asked and ansewered before.

I installed Fedora 9 on my machine

AMD X2, 2GB RAM, AMD 780G motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H), 2x 250GB Seagate HDD.

I wanted to a RAID 0 array(which worked perfectly with windows xp), but while installing Fedora 9-

first time, it detected my RAID 0 array and installed perfectly, it booted in and ran fine. But when i switched it on the next day, the Array had failed and I had to redefine the array. Once i did that, i couldnt boot back into my fedora.. nor could i rescue my old installation. so i reinstalled it.

this time, fedora failed to detect my RAID 0 array.. i tried again and again but i cant get it to work.. so i did a normal installation..

Can somebody help me in setting up a hardware RAID 0 array in F9

thank you
regards

stevea
31st May 2008, 11:43 AM
I assume this is NOT a hardware raid, but rather a BIOS raid. Unless you spent several hundred dollaras in a separate controller card you don't have hardware raid.

The BIOS should present the Linux installer with a BIOS controlled RAID0 and it *should* install correctly. That fact that you couldn't rescue the first install makes me believe that it was not installed on the raid (I think it failed to detect the first time).

Set up the raid and then boot the dvd, select "custom" install and see what drivers appear. It will not say "raid" but it should show a disk w/ the right size.

ajithkgs
31st May 2008, 07:27 PM
ok.. i will try.. and thanx for clearing it up :D..

ajithkgs
31st May 2008, 07:41 PM
one more doubt, u said CUSTOM installation rT?.. where can i find tat option, i dunt remember seeing such an option during the installation.. or does tat option come before the anaconda installer start?

ajithkgs
1st June 2008, 09:48 AM
i tried it.. set the IDEs as RAID, created a new RAID 0 array. and booted using the DVD (Fedora 9 x86_64), during the partitioning , i selected "custom partition layout". but it still hows two seperate harddisks /dev/sda and /dev/sdb .. but i got the option of creating software RAID.. i did tat.. aftr installation, i had the same prob.. i cudnt boot into the installation.. i had to set my harddisks as normal IDE in the BIOS for my installation to boot up..

i am really puzzled.. is it some problem with the dvd image i downloaded? or is my BIOS not working properly.. should i update the bios?

i seem to be having this prob only for linux.. fedora and ubuntu.. but wen i installed windows, on it first, it workd perfectly..

Kendoka
1st June 2008, 10:09 AM
Windows treats the bios raid differently, the BIOS raid is in effect software raid that windows can utilise, it just remains seperate from the main OS from what my limited understanding is.

Configuring a RAID 0 array should work through the linux install, I'd suggest turning off the bios raid and then creating the raid using the linux installer.

ajithkgs
1st June 2008, 11:27 AM
so.. technically if, the BIOS RAID is essentially a software type RAID, i should get the same performance from a linux software RAID too, rt?

Kendoka
1st June 2008, 12:16 PM
I think so... I'm by no means an expert though. You could try doing some googling to help clarify, but in general you'll have a hard time filtering the search as most "BIOS" raid is referred to as Hardware RAID by windows users, reminds me of the dialup modems that where software driven been referred to as "hardware" modems...

ajithkgs
1st June 2008, 01:08 PM
hehehe, will do.. thanks.. ive reinstalled atleast 5 times this week, trying to get it to work.. :D..

Kendoka
2nd June 2008, 01:31 AM
let us know the outcome. hope it all goes well. At least you're sticking with it.

ajithkgs
2nd June 2008, 06:43 AM
hmm yes, i will try upgrading my BIOS and see wat i get.. i will post the results.. thanks

savage
2nd June 2008, 01:53 PM
Just keep in mind if you're dual booting, I don't think Windows can access Linux software RAID partitions.

So if you need Windows to have access to the disk, check up first.

ajithkgs
2nd June 2008, 03:44 PM
hmm, ok.. but i dont use windows anyway, i just installed it to see wat kinda gaming performance i am gettin with it..

i do all my work in linux..