PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 ( F9 / FC9 ) HTTP Install on VMWare. Network unavailable.

mykelalvis
30th May 2008, 10:03 PM
I am currently running Fedora 6 on VMware ESX Server 2.5.3 build-35703 like a champ. It required a bit of mucking about, but it finally installed and has been running solidly for about 18 months now.

But it's time to upgrade to Fedora 9. :)

I have a web server with the Fedora 9 repository mirrored to it, so I use a kickstart file that looks much like the following:

# Kickstart file automatically generated by anaconda.

#version=F9
install
url --url=http://192.168.10.2/repositories/fedora/releases/9/Fedora/i386/os
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
xconfig --startxonboot
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip 192.168.10.21 --netmask 255.255.255.0 --gateway 192.168.10.1 --nameserver 192.168.10.3 --hostname blahbox.blah.com --onboot=on
rootpw --iscrypted {SOMEPASSWORD}
firewall --enabled --port=22:tcp
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512
selinux --disabled
timezone --utc America/Chicago
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda --append="rhgb quiet" --md5pass={GRUBPW}
# The following is the partition information you requested
# Note that any partitions you deleted are not expressed
# here so unless you clear all partitions first, this is
# not guaranteed to work
clearpart --linux
part /boot --fstype ext3 --onpart sda1
part pv.2 --noformat --onpart sda2
volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.2
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=2048
logvol /var --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol02 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=7200
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol00 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=8000
logvol /usr --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol03 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=5472
logvol /opt --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol04 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1024

%packages
@system-tools
@legacy-fonts
@fonts
... more packages here

As you can see, this is based on an anaconda-generated ks file.
The problem is that the network interface is not active at the point of trying to load the KS file, so there's no way to actually LOAD the kickstart. This installation was done with a DVD Iso image mounted as a CDRom and the resulting kickstart file modified by hand. Is there a parameter I've mistyped, perhaps?

How do I get the network to be activated at the linux installation boot command line?
Is there a

boot: linux staticip=10.x.x.x gateway=blah ns1=blah

option?

DHCP is NOT an option. I have no control over the network, DHCP is not running and I am assigned IPs. I think that if I had DHCP capability, this would become a non-issue...

What I would prefer is to be able to specify, using cobbler and koan, the ips of a booting-to-install server using MAC address but not using BOOTP/DHCP/PXE. Is this possible?

Note that I have been able to get Fedora 9 running on this VMWare server (in the end by turning off the network manager service and activating the network on boot), but I need to be able to set some option that allows the network interface to come up at the beginning of installation.

Help on this matter would make this upgrade MUCH more bearable.. :)
Thanks,
Mykel