PDA

View Full Version : ugrade probelms fc6->fc9

aradicev
29th May 2008, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I had a nice working fc6 box and since fc6 isn't supported anymore I have decided to install fc9 .... better to say upgrade (wanted to preserve network, apache, subversion, MySQL etc. now I regret it).
Fine, my servers and other stuff works but :eek: display manager (gdm) is freaking ...

When I logged in as plain, on logout the gdm stalled ... one pop up opened but didn't render to the end and I couldn't do anything (na actions on mouse clicks). If I logged in as root it was even worse ... couldn't launch some programs (administrative) and thous which started didn't recognize me as root account?!

I have tried to empty (backed it up, of course) my user home directory hoping that gdm will restore stuff that it needs from scratch and now I'm staring at the background picture 'couse this is the only thing that shows up after login. Restoring the stuff that was in the home directory didn't help ... still only the background picture :mad:

Don't know what to do.

I have looked for the gdm processes and I'm not quite sure if everything is as it should be

ps -eo pid,ppid,user,args | grep gdm

2438 1 root /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
2508 2438 root /usr/libexec/gdm-simple-slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Display1
2509 2508 root /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -verbose -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-cookie-XXM5OFBU-for-gdm -nolisten tcp
2528 1 gdm /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
2617 2508 root /usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker

gdm logs

:0-greeter.log

** (process:2531): DEBUG: Greeter session pid=2531 display=:0 xauthority=/var/run/gdm/auth-cookie-XXM5OFBU-for-gdm
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x800029 (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x800029 (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.

cat gdm/:0.log | grep EE

(EE) Failed to load module "record" (module does not exist, 0)

also, I have noticed some problems in the upgrade logs

warning: /etc/sysconfig/system-config-securitylevel saved as /etc/sysconfig/system-config-securitylevel.rpmsave
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/system-config-firewall/convert-config", line 30, in <module>
from fw_config import *
File "/usr/share/system-config-firewall/fw_config.py", line 31, in <module>
from netconfpkg import NCDeviceList
File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/__init__.py", line 61, in <module>
exec _cmd
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/Control.py", line 29, in <module>
import NCDeviceList
File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/NCDeviceList.py", line 26, in <module>
from netconfpkg.NCDeviceFactory import getDeviceFactory
File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/NCDeviceFactory.py", line 74, in <module>
from netconfpkg.plugins import *
File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/plugins/__init__.py", line 35, in <module>
exec _cmd
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/plugins/NCDevCTC.py", line 22, in <module>
from netconfpkg.NC_functions import CTC
ImportError: cannot import name CTC
error: %trigger(system-config-firewall-1.2.7-1.fc9.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: %postun(avahi-0.6.16-4.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Upgrading kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686

Jman
2nd June 2008, 04:19 AM
Can you still log in on a terminal, at run level 3? Then you can backup files and settings.

Safest is to clean install F9. The FC6 to F9 upgrade is a large jump, and there are unknown things wrong with your gdm.

aradicev
2nd June 2008, 10:23 AM
Can you still log in on a terminal, at run level 3? Then you can backup files and settings.

Safest is to clean install F9. The FC6 to F9 upgrade is a large jump, and there are unknown things wrong with your gdm.

Yes I can and I can do better than that ... VNC is working (starts gnome and everything, though it's quite slow .... much slower than when I had fc6 running).
For now I'll let it be as it is ... perhaps try to install/re-install some gnome packages with yum since the add/remove software does not allow me to install (says insufficient rights although I had an root VNC session).

drunkahol
2nd June 2008, 11:01 AM
WAY better to go for a clean install.

To preserve data, put it in a partition that you don't format on install.

To preserve config files, back them up. Don't just keep them in place as things can change quite dramatically between releases. (Well OK, not quite dramatically, but there's always the chance that you lose compatability between different releases - especially jumping 3 releases as you have done).

Hot tip for config files is to avoid editing the standard files wherever possible. More apps are allowing "include" files in a specific directory for user specific configs. I certainly stick all my apache configs in my own files, but there are others that are more difficult to do.

Kickstart installs are the way forward. You can specify your entire install in a single file, so you can re-install yo your heart's content. Once you've got the right kickstart file with the right post install script, you can then rest easy that having to re-install your box from scratch can be done without any manual intervention (always the best way if you want an identical system!)

Cheers

Duncan