PDA

View Full Version : Complete installs?

jdcollins
27th May 2008, 09:33 PM
Just wondering what happened to the option for a complete install during fedora setup? I recently installed Fedora 9 and could not find that option. However I remember back with Fedora 5 it was possible to simply install everything. I know I probably won't use half the stuff but I would rather do that than come back later and have to apply all of the package installs with add/remove programs and such.

So anyways my question is: Is there a way to simply install everything during the FC9 install?

bob
27th May 2008, 09:48 PM
Not that I've found. Actually, if you think about it; the DVD has 3.3 gigs which would include a ton of packages and frankly if the option still existed to install everything, think of all the updating you'd be faced with from such a rapidly moving distro. You'd be spending most of your time uninstalling packages. Even a few days into the release and there are a lot of updates already, so if you could do an 'everything' install, you'd be stuck with a long update just after installation.

Anniedog
27th May 2008, 10:57 PM
You could always install yumex and select all available to install. But I would as bob says think the updating would be too much and the bigger question would be why would you want too? Alot of the packages, dare I say it due to bugs bugs and even more bugs are not fully working yet. I think fedora testing repo listed 87 that are being worked on at the moment ( EDIT: on my machine which I have actually kept low on packages at the moment) and that was a day or two ago when I checked. I could understand this if you were using f8 which would be and is still my favoured fedora for important stuff, but seriously f9. I would give it at least a month or so more.