PDA

View Full Version : I need help on removing Ubuntu...

DamirH
27th May 2008, 02:05 PM
Hey, I need some help to remove Ubuntu completely.
Any guides or anything?
I've tried things myself but it simply just isn't letting me remove it...

Also, people talk about FDISK, I cannot find it, it's dissapeared me things...

I dunno', help?

:(

LDC
27th May 2008, 02:59 PM
just stick in the cdrom the Fedora9 install disk, choose first option "remove all linux partition and install Fedora" (or something like that)

your Ubuntu installation will be terminated.

DamirH
27th May 2008, 04:09 PM
I've got Fedora 8, the disk on it doesn't say anything about removing it...
I was quite confused that it didn't... :confused:

Any ideas??? :(

LDC
27th May 2008, 05:23 PM
just don't rush things: once you select the first option you will be driven to the menu where you can select "remove all linux partitions". Then just let the installer create the filesystem for your new linbox...

trinkus79
27th May 2008, 07:23 PM
Not meaning to thread jack here, but I've got a problem that's sort of similar. I had XP/Ubuntu on my laptop and decided to install fedora instead. I wanted to keep it dual boot, but when I picked the option to "remove all linux partitions and install fedora" it doesn't look like XP is there anymore. Is there some way to see if it's still there and to maybe get it back so I can dual boot again. Or am I up a certain creek without a paddle, meaning I need to reinstall XP again?

Thanks in advance.

Karl_W_Lewis
27th May 2008, 07:43 PM
>> it doesn't look like XP is there anymore. Is there some way to see if it's still there and to maybe get it back so I can dual boot again. <<

What you want to do, I should think, is havea look at the partitions on the disk and look to see if the NTFS, (XP) partition is still there. Call up a terminal window, (under system tools), carefully execute:

su -
#that lets you become root
fdisk /dev/sda
#that looks at the first disk in your system, and puts you into the command line driven disk formatter... thus you must be *very* careful. Type the letter p, lower case, at the prompt and press enter. That will print out the partition table. Type the letter q, lower case, to quit. You should see something like this:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 * 1 37 297171 83 Linux
/dev/sdc2 38 6117 48837600 83 Linux
/dev/sdc3 6118 12197 48837600 8e Linux LVM
/dev/sdc4 12198 30401 146223630 8e Linux LVM

and it *might* list an NTFS or FAT32 partition, if those still exist on your drive. If the partition still exists then you are *golden*, your only issue will be editing your grub.conf, (or menu.lst), file in /boot/grub/ to include the option to boot XP instead of a real operating system. There are a variety of sources for the required contents of the entry in grub.conf

It'll look something like this:

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1

but the precise contents of the rootnoverify line will vary depending upon which partition contains the virus-riddled game-loader.

Best of luck.

KWL

DamirH
27th May 2008, 10:55 PM
Haha, too late to do that...
I've not been able to get back into Fedora..
Now I'm trying to reboot with a boot disc, says:
"This computer has no valid information..."
Sucks..
Yeah.
Ummm...

I'm stuck...

DamirH
27th May 2008, 11:02 PM
just don't rush things: once you select the first option you will be driven to the menu where you can select "remove all linux partitions". Then just let the installer create the filesystem for your new linbox...

I apologise for the double post, but urm... I just wanna go back onto windows on this PC, my laptops good on fedora 9, the one I'm using now.
However, the PC I need as windows, due to some rograms I need...

Thanks.

InvisibleMan99
28th May 2008, 09:16 AM
Haha, too late to do that...
I've not been able to get back into Fedora..
Now I'm trying to reboot with a boot disc, says:
"This computer has no valid information..."
Sucks..
Yeah.
Ummm...

I'm stuck...What do you mean by 'boot disc'? Have you tried Gparted? It gives you a nice and simple but informative view of your disk/s. You can burn a Live CD from an iso file which you can get here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

If you're getting that message under those conditions, I'd say it's a serious hardware issue, and there's nothing we could do without seeing it.

HTH

LDC
28th May 2008, 01:06 PM
I apologise for the double post, but urm... I just wanna go back onto windows on this PC, my laptops good on fedora 9, the one I'm using now.
However, the PC I need as windows, due to some rograms I need...

Thanks.
Do you know that it is possible to run winblows from inside Fedora? if you don't need it as primary OS for some trivial reason (such as gaming galore, modern games needs directx...), all others applications can be installed under a virtual machine.

btw, if you really want to infect your pc, then just insert the windows installation disk, have it booting on "prompt with cd support", run "fdisk" and choose "remove all non ntfs partitions", then "create new partition" and so on, you can start by reading this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103049

DamirH
29th May 2008, 12:13 AM
It's okay I sorted it.
Haven't read this, had like 5 hours sleep last night.
Shattered.
But I'm sticking to Windows on this machine for simple reasons of Design purposes.
I've also a MacBook on my other laptop.
So I've a fair share of OS's.