PDA

View Full Version : preupgrade hangs

tdiesler
27th May 2008, 08:45 AM
I'm trying to upgrade from FC8 to FC9 using preupgrade-0.9.3-3.fc8

During the "Determine which packages to download" step, preupgrade hangs at about 18% with no new messages in the progress bar. Progress very slowly advances (over night) beyond 400%

The "Download packages" step is never reached.

I can't seem to find command line options for verbose output, nor entries in the message log.

cheers
-thomas

InvisibleMan99
28th May 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm trying to upgrade from FC8 to FC9 using preupgrade-0.9.3-3.fc8

During the "Determine which packages to download" step, preupgrade hangs at about 18% with no new messages in the progress bar. Progress very slowly advances (over night) beyond 400%

The "Download packages" step is never reached.
-thomas Does that mean you've interrupted it, and then tried again, always with the same result. When I tried it, it took no more than a couple of minutes to get onto the "Download packages" part. Not that it helped because it didn't know how to deal with my grub.conf file. Or at least, I don't have the smarts to deal with what it did. It seems to me that it's only designed for systems with nothing else on it other than the Fedora 8 installation.

I can't seem to find command line options for verbose output, nor entries in the message log.

No man page either. Seems to be a poke and hope type of interface. Maybe next time it will be better developed.

tdiesler
28th May 2008, 11:39 AM
yes, always the same result. it hangs at 17% and the very slowly progresses forever (with no actual progress)

InvisibleMan99
29th May 2008, 09:25 PM
yes, always the same result. it hangs at 17% and the very slowly progresses forever (with no actual progress)That's the same one I use, but I get further before it becomes useless. My guess is that yours is hanging because something that you have installed can't get its newer upgrade. Have you done a yum upgrade before you started?

HTH