PDA

View Full Version : Errors in downloaded Fedora 9 (6) CD's.

WayBeast
26th May 2008, 01:51 PM
Hi, folks!
I've downloaded Fedora 9 6 CD's and i burned them using Nero7 (under XP). When i try to install, on midia check i've always got an error: CD has errors. I release the sha1sum check on iso images downloaded and it's correct. After a whole lot of trouble, i've managed to make disk 1 and disk 6 to work ok, but the others doesn't. What's going on? What am i doing wrong? Has someone here experienced the same errors? Thanks in advance...

PS: Sorry for the bad english...

LDC
26th May 2008, 01:55 PM
1) did you try to burn it at minimum speed?

2) are you SURE your wiblows is not infected by viruses/trojans/malwares of sort?

WayBeast
26th May 2008, 02:02 PM
Virus i think it's not the case, i've always keep my av (avg7) updated, i use windows firewall, WinXPsp3, and Spybot. About the minimum speed, i did not use, i did use 24x for sony cd media (i've lost 6 cd's, you can imagine how happy i was). Now i'm using CDRW at 4x, i will look for a speed lower than this.
Thanks a lot.

LDC
26th May 2008, 02:19 PM
urhg! you use "winblows flawsfullwall"? :\ that is itself a good reason to doubt about the health of your pc.
Apart from this, the next two things I could think to would be, in this order:

a) bad sectors on the disk you store the iso
b) defective RAM (you can try running memtest....)

ryptyde
26th May 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi, folks!
I've downloaded Fedora 9 6 CD's and i burned them using Nero7 (under XP). When i try to install, on midia check i've always got an error: CD has errors. I release the sha1sum check on iso images downloaded and it's correct. After a whole lot of trouble, i've managed to make disk 1 and disk 6 to work ok, but the others doesn't. What's going on? What am i doing wrong? Has someone here experienced the same errors? Thanks in advance...

I have downloaded Fedora CD sets in the past and have checked the iso's with sha1sum and made sure they match. Then have burned them to disc at a lower speed than what the burner/discs were capable of and skipped the media check process when installing and have never had a problem with an install because I skipped the "media check".

PS: I have used Linux and Windows to burn the discs without difficulty.
PSS: When I burned discs in Windows dvddcrypter, ImgBurn or Roxio was used.

juhaL
29th May 2008, 11:07 PM
Hi, folks!

Hi,

I have the same problem. Discs 1 and 6 pass mediacheck, others fail. I have FC2 disc 1 and booted with that, run mediacheck on all F9 six discs, three times whole set(3x6=18!!) and all PASS!

Can you check if there are any error messages on tty3 and tty4 when you run mediacheck? (Alt-F3/Alt-F4)(Alt-F1(?) back to check).

See my bug report, #447452 on bugzilla.redhat.com
I have Buffer I/O messages on disc 6 only, but it PASSES the check anyway.

--juha

robatino
30th May 2008, 06:23 PM
I had the exact same problem. Discs 1 and 6 passed and the others failed. I finally burned the Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso and did a network install. After completing that, I installed anaconda-runtime and then ran checkisomd5 (basically the equivalent of mediacheck without rebooting) while booted up in the original F9 kernel, the same one that anaconda was using, and all 6 discs passed! So there is definitely something wrong with the installer. I knew before installing that the discs were good, since I took all necessary precautions, including burning at the lowest possible speed, using zero-padding, DAO mode, and checking the discs by reading the ISO directly off the disc after burning to check the sha1sum.

juhaL
31st May 2008, 01:12 AM
I had the exact same problem. Discs 1 and 6 passed and the others failed. I finally burned the Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso and did a network install. After completing that, I installed anaconda-runtime and then ran checkisomd5 (basically the equivalent of mediacheck without rebooting) while booted up in the original F9 kernel, the same one that anaconda was using, and all 6 discs passed! So there is definitely something wrong with the installer. I knew before installing that the discs were good, since I took all necessary precautions, including burning at the lowest possible speed, using zero-padding, DAO mode, and checking the discs by reading the ISO directly off the disc after burning to check the sha1sum.

I suspect that the kernel used when booting from F9 install disc 1 is not the same as the kernel installed. I think the kernel during install is "isolinux" by P. Anvin or some version of it. (Added June 1st 2008 : Did some checking, isolinux and syslinux are just boot loaders. Question remains, is the kernel used when booting F9 CD 1 and running mediacheck the same as later installed as normal kernel? ) Therefore checkisomd5 from anaconda-runtime can work OK after install. Anyway that's my theory.

No problems with your system after install?
I fear that my installation may go wrong because the installer/kernel somehow does not properly read the installation CDs from my CDRW drive.
If the installed system/kernel works OK, then I can download the DVD image and files needed to boot and install from the DVD image . So no need to burn any CDs in that case.

robatino
31st May 2008, 01:23 AM
The box in question is a 9-year old eMachines 333cs with a 4-year old DVD-RW drive. It has trouble booting from DVD (probably due to the old drive, my father has a box with an identical motherboard but a different drive and it's never had such trouble). I was able to get it to boot once from DVD, and the DVD passed the mediacheck, but just after starting the install it complained about one of the first packages it tried to install (missing package, maybe?). So then I burned the 6-CD set, since it's never had trouble booting from CD, and when I had the CD mediacheck trouble, gave up on that and did the network install instead, which worked perfectly, though it took about twice as long as normal. I haven't used it extensively after the install, though it seems normal, since it's just a backup to my regular machine.

juhaL
31st May 2008, 02:01 AM
I think I'm going to wait until updates to my FC7 stop and install F9 1-4 weeks after that. I'll wait if the bugzilla guys can do something about the problem, maybe there is a re-spin from fedoraunity later.

But this mediacheck problem seems not to be a high priority problem, I guess because it does not affect so many people. I just wonder how many other installation problems are related to this same bug that presents itself when mediachecking? Therefore I think it would be important to find the bug.