PDA

View Full Version : Need to Know Size of DVD

ThersOnly1Hutch
26th May 2008, 02:52 AM
I downloaded the Fedora 9 DVD ISO using Multiget & it claimed it was finished , but yet it doesnt show up as an ISO Image but " iso.mg "which means I cant Burn it.
I was wondering if anyone knows the Exact size of the DVD iso as the web site doesnt seem to tell anyone what the size of the DVD iso's are but only the CD's which is a bit wrong.
I need to know so I can tell if the Download did finish properly etc., & if it did then I was hoping I could do something about it hopefully. Rather than redownload it again.
Hopefully Fedora will get into the habit of letting users know the Size of DVD Downloads before we attempt to Download a DVD ISO etc.
AnyWay could someone please see if they have the exact size for me. - The size I have downloaded that it shows when I click on ISO is " 3,580,680,192 B" but claims to be only 3.3GB at same time not 3.5 GB.
Thanks AnyOne

ThersOnly1Hutch
26th May 2008, 03:19 AM
I have found when I remove " .mg " from the end of ISO I get an ISO image but I still dont know if I have the Full Download as usually it would be automatically done as " ISO not ISO.MG " when finished etc.
So I would appreciate if anyone could Post the Actual proper size if possible so I dont waste a DVD hopefully.
Thanks

ryptyde
26th May 2008, 03:24 AM
The F9 DVD.iso I downloaded was 3.3GB (3580680192 bytes) so you probably just have to rename the "Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso.mg" to "Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso" by just removing the ".mg" extension from the name.

stoat
26th May 2008, 03:40 AM
The size I have downloaded that it shows when I click on ISO is " 3,580,680,192 B" but claims to be only 3.3GB at same time not 3.5 GB.Hello ThersOnly1Hutch,

I think your download was complete. The explanation for 3.3 GB thing is confusion over the decimal and binary meanings of the term gigabyte. That's common and the reason for the recent invention of the term gibibyte (GiB) to mean a binary gigabyte. A binary gigabyte is 2 to the 30th power or 1,073,741,824 bytes. So the F9 DVD ISO at 3,580,680,192 bytes divided by 1,073,741,824 is 3.33 binary gigabytes. Most software reports gigabytes in the binary meaning of the term.

P.S.: I would use sha1sum to generate a hash to compare to the one in the text file SHA1SUM located in the same place where you found the ISO. If it matches, try just changing the file extension to .iso and burning it.

ThersOnly1Hutch
26th May 2008, 05:13 AM
Many Thanks for taking your time to look & search at the proper size & especially the valuable info & meaning on Download Sizes etc ,does help ,it would bother some people wondering if theres an error somewhere.
I think it is just a matter of removing .mg .
Thanks Again

A.Serbinski
26th May 2008, 04:06 PM
The size is irrelevant. Check the sha1sum -- if it checks out, the image is correct. If not, its broken.