PDA

View Full Version : CD Writer address?

stanmc
11th July 2004, 02:18 PM
I have a Samsung DVD player/CDRW writer Combo. It is Master on IDE2. When I open gnometoaster and look at preferences it indicates the unit is on Device Name /dev/scd0 with a SCSI ID of 0,0,0. If I run cdrecord --scanbus it gives a SCSI ID of 1,0,0. Using gnometoaster I have written many cd discs, including Knoppix 3.3 and 3.4 as well as FC2 iso's.

When I use mondoarchive, I respond that the drive is 1,0,0 which is what cdrecord --scanbus indicates. However, mondoarchive cannot write to the drive. Anyone have any ideas as to which is the correct SCSI ID, or how I can prove it?

superbnerd
11th July 2004, 02:41 PM
its interesting that you're still using scsi emulation with fc2. which kernel are you running? also, you should look into using k3b instead of gnometoaster

stanmc
11th July 2004, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure what you mean as to why I'm still using SCSI emulation. I ran cdrecord --scanbus because that is what MondoArchive suggested. I use gnometoaster because I know how to use it, and it does the job. I'm really not into learning a lot of new things to accomplish mundane tasks like copying CD's.

However, if I didn't want to run SCSI emulation what would I run? My Kernel is 2.6.6. The upgrade of FC2 set the system up in a standard way, so I suppose if I'm using SCSI emulation it is because it just brought that forward from FC1

superbnerd
11th July 2004, 04:44 PM
first, k3b is not hard to use and has the best gui for linux cd/dvd burning.
Secondly. please post all of your cdrecord -scanbus output.

ghaefb
11th July 2004, 09:40 PM
Use: cdrecord -scanbus -dev=ATAPI
You will probably get ATAPI device on 0,0,0

Now your device is: dev=ATAPI:0,0,0

I recommend using k3b for cdburning.

stanmc
12th July 2004, 12:38 AM
Use: cdrecord -scanbus -dev=ATAPI
You will probably get ATAPI device on 0,0,0

Now your device is: dev=ATAPI:0,0,0

I recommend using k3b for cdburning.

That did the trick. It truly is 0,0,0 in reference to ATAPI devices. No wonder the backup failed. It was instructed to write to the wrong device. I will look at k3b. I can't burn DVD because my drive is only a DVD reader/player.

Can k3b burn Dual-Layer? I am getting a NEC DVD burner for my MS computer, might consider getting two. Lastly, is k3b part of the FC2 iso and if not, where do I get it? Thanks for the help.

stanmc
12th July 2004, 11:48 AM
After I verified the addresses, I tried to copy the mindi.iso to a CD-R. Neither cdrecord or gnometoaster could do that using the 0,0,0 address. Something is broken between the OS and the device.

The DVD/CD-RW Samsung combo no longer writes, but plays just as it always did. I used this burner to make the FC2 iso disks. I copied Knoppix 3.4 after the install of FC2, but haven't written anything since the updates recently that affected cdrecord.

Have no idea how to verify if the drive can write.

ghaefb
12th July 2004, 10:04 PM
Yes k3b is part of FC2 iso, just run Add/Remove Packages(system-config-packages) -> Sound and Video. You will find here k3b CD/DVD burner.
I think k3b can't burn dual-layer yet.

Did you use adress: ATAPI:0,0,0 and not just 0,0,0 !?

stanmc
13th July 2004, 01:29 AM
Yes k3b is part of FC2 iso, just run Add/Remove Packages(system-config-packages) -> Sound and Video. You will find here k3b CD/DVD burner.
I think k3b can't burn dual-layer yet.

Did you use adress: ATAPI:0,0,0 and not just 0,0,0 !?

I just tried the ATAPI:0,0,0 and cdrecord now works. Where is this documented? I am not a slave to instructions, but since the program I am trying to use (Mondo) has a two year old PDF instruction sheet, it doesn't mention this as far as I know. The line in Mondo is # mondoarchive -Oc 2 -s 700m -d 0,0,0 -5. Loosely translated this means write to a CD-R using speed of 2 on 700MB disc at address 0,0,0 using moderate compression. I suppose I will try ATAPI:0,0,0.

k3b sounds interesting, but it requires me to give up gnome from my reading of the requirements. I haven't tried KDE yet. Thanks for your help. At least I know my CD-RW drive is fine and FC2 can write to it.

ghaefb
13th July 2004, 01:51 AM
No problem.
You don't have to use KDE just to use k3b, you can run it inside Gnome.