PDA

View Full Version : execute dmraid before fstab on boot

pavelthesecond
25th May 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi,
Just installed F9 a few days ago on my brand new Shuttle SN68ptg6 (dual boot with Vista). This is my first Linux OS so I'm still trying to learn all the basics.
I used fakeRaid (nVidia nforce) to setup 3 partitions: one for Vista (ntfs), one for Fedora (ext3), and one for all my stuff (also ntfs).
Fedora installed fine. However, I can't get it to automount my shared partition on boot. The mount command seems to only work after a call to dmraid to initialize all devices. ex:

dmraid -ay
mount -t ntfs /dev/mapper/nvidia_jbbjcefb4 /media/data
I have solved this problem by placing the above code inside the /etc/rc.d/rd.local and leaving fstab unchanged. However, I want to move my /home directory to the shared partition and to do that I need to get fstab to mount the shared drive.
So, how do I call dmraid BEFORE fstab is executed? Is there some script somewhere that is executed before fsab?

thanks,
Pavel

JEO
25th May 2008, 03:32 PM
If you have already installed to the raid then you should not have to call dmraid again. Issue an ls /dev/mapper command and you should see your devices /dev/mapper/nvidia_jbbjcefb4 will have a p right before the last 4 so just add the p to and put it in your fstab. /dev/mapper/nvidia_jbbjcefbp4 These devices are created early in the boot sequence in the initial ramdisk when you have installed to a raid.

pavelthesecond
25th May 2008, 04:07 PM
thanks for the quick replay. yes that fixed the problem. Brilliant.