25th May 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm using Fc6 with a 64 bit processor, KDE

I get the following when I try to install SKYPE:

Missing Dependency: libQtNetwork.so.4 is needed by package skype
Missing Dependency: libQtDBus.so.4 is needed by package skype
Missing Dependency: libQtGui.so.4 is needed by package skype
Missing Dependency: libQtCore.so.4 is needed by package skype

Any ideas how to resolve this?

I know that once upon a time I was using skype on this box.

Wayne
25th May 2008, 11:29 AM
Just a WAG, but I think Skype now uses QT4... Is it available in the F6 repos? Keeping in mind F6 is no longer maintained...

Wayne

anafshalom
27th May 2008, 06:32 AM
Wayne!
Thanks. Sorry that I've not "played" with my opperating system in a long while. How do I get the files onto my system?

Reuven

okcomputer44
27th May 2008, 07:03 AM
Hi I've just installed it yesterday.

you need to download this file qt-x11-4.3.4-14.fc9.i386.rpm from here: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libQt3Support.so.4

and than just install it.

su -
rpm -Uvh qt-x11-4.3.4-14.fc9.i386.rpm --nodeps

then install gpg key for skype

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0xD66B746E
gpg -a -o /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-skype --export 0xD66B746E

Setup Skype Repo

Add the following to /etc/yum.repos.d/skype.repo:

[skype]
name=Skype Repository
baseurl=http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/fedora/updates/i586/
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-skype

or download it from here: http://fedorasolved.org/multimedia-solutions/skype.repo

Install skype with yum:

yum install skype

I hope it helped.

Laz

Wayne
27th May 2008, 08:03 AM
rpm -Uvh qt-x11-4.3.4-14.fc9.i386.rpm --nodeps

And that works on 64bit FC6?

Wayne

okcomputer44
27th May 2008, 01:54 PM
Well I suppose no, sorry I missed that part.

It is obvious need to download the fc6 rpm from here: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/5123279/com/qt4-x11-4.3.2-1.fc6.x86_64.rpm.html

this is the link: ftp://ftp.muug.mb.ca/mirror/fedora/linux/extras/6/x86_64/qt4-x11-4.3.2-1.fc6.x86_64.rpm

Laz

Bad2theBone
28th June 2008, 05:29 PM
okcomputer44 - Do you know if your instructions work for Fedora 9?

okcomputer44
28th June 2008, 06:38 PM
Yes it must work.
Only the libqt could be the problem.

If you need different for your OP. just google it.

qt4-x11 rpm then download it install it then yum install skype.
Just follow the instructions above.

Let me know if something wrong.

Laz

PS: I've installed it on centos too. (obviously not with yum)
By the way sometimes the yum does not get the dependencies correctly.(wish I knew it why)
Install it with common package installer. Just click on skype icon at www.skype.com's download site and use the package installer.

Bad2theBone
29th June 2008, 03:17 AM
Just installed it as per your instructions, no problems installing. Haven't tried it yet or even registered yet. I'm not sure if I really understand how it works as the documentation seems to be vague. Do you actually get a "phone #" as per se? Are non skype users able to call you on your skype system? In otherwords can Aunt Milly from Florida call me from her house phone connected by AT&T landline to my skype pc phone? Also can more than one PC on a home LAN use the same account or #? Again is my wife using her M$ Window$ PC also able to access the account that I setup using my Fedora 9 PC?

okcomputer44
29th June 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi,

I don't know that non skype user can call you on skype but I don't think so. Skype is using the "voice over IP thing" and it is mean there is no common pbx land line thing on your skype pc.

If you want to setup new account for your skype you can do it on two ways. One way is uninstall it then reinstall and you will get the "new registration window" thingy. Another way is on the another pc either Linux/Windows/PDA just install it then setup a new account.

If you are trying to login on different pc with same account the first logged account will log out and the last will be logged in. You can use more than one skype on the same lan but different account needs. (as msn messenger does)

From the skype account you can call anything skype and landline/mobil phones.

There is a skype phone at Three it has a mobile phone and built in skype account too.

http://three.co.uk/personal/mobiles_/skype_/index.omp

I have one it is pretty good and cheap.

Laz

Bad2theBone
29th June 2008, 03:05 PM
I had started the Skype software and saw the login with registration option. So in other words it doesn't work like Vonage at all. I'm being told that if you have SkypeIn you can receive calls from cells or landlines, is that different, than the monthly account of $2.50? (Please note I am in the USA, I realize that Skype is in England or somewhere in the UK). Also can you Fax through Skype? I'm basically looking to see if I can use Skype in place of my home landline, in conjunction with my cell phones. Current economic conditions have forced us (myself and my significant other) to drastically cut back.

okcomputer44
29th June 2008, 04:26 PM
To be honest I don't know exactly you can or can't call into skype. Some VOIP software can do that as you mentioned it.

On mine I could not find it. About the fax I never used it for faxing. The most I use skype for chat and little bit for calling. (technical support) All calls just in skype users not from mobile/landline.

The monthly account for 2.5 it is bloody cheap! In UK. the pay as you go monthly one is 10.(at Three) The Three's 3G network is not very good. The skype phone works well on the street but not in the house.(sometimes it drops the network)

Economy??? I know what you mean I feel it every day on my skin. The last 1 year the food prices grown up 20-30%. This is just the beginning end of the year the gas/electric price will be 40% higher then right now. :((((

Laz.

Bad2theBone
29th June 2008, 04:42 PM
Yeh, we're looking forward to future spiraling food prices due to the weather and fires going on here in the States. Flooding in the midwest destroying all crops, cities, etc along the rivers feeding the Mississippi River, and the ongoing drought in the SE, particularly in N. Georgia and of course the fires in California. Oh well, if I can get this to replace my landline, along with cutting back to Basic cable that's almost a tank of gas ($90 USD).

Bad2theBone
1st July 2008, 02:11 AM
okcomputer44: Did you encounter audio issues with Skype on your PC? On mine when I do the test call, I can hear the message explaining the recording test, but it never plays back what I recorded. I can hear myself through my speakers, but nothing seems to be getting to Skype.

okcomputer44
1st July 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi,

No I did not get this issue. I think the sound devices the problem. Maybe wrong in or out device was selected on your PC.
A friend of mine machines had a problem with the mixer. It was a brand new HP PC and thousand in/out ports optic, etc...
Sometimes the USB sound devices is the problem.

Laz.

Bad2theBone
2nd July 2008, 03:10 AM
Finally got it resolved. I had to go into the Master Volume Control's File->Change Device and go through each device until I found the one that had the mike muted. Unmuted, and it worked, but I sounded like Darth Vader talking under water while in the bathtub. I then had to go into the options settings in Skype and select audio control and set the Input Device to the Hdwe option and that cleaned it up. However I lost my playback devices in Audacity, I'm beginning to hate PulseAudio. I know, "Breath Deep, let it out slowly and relax, then go drop kick the old box.