PDA

View Full Version : fedora 9 and vmware

seeker010
25th May 2008, 07:09 AM
I'm having some annoyances getting Fedora 9 to work in VMWare. First off half the vmware tools don't compile properly. Thank goodness vmxnet does. Second I had to disable NetworkManager service and enable the network service. But I still have to manually restart the vmware-tools service after loading up XFCE otherwise my mouse remains stuck inside the vm and I can't autofit it. Everything works fine with Mandriva 2008.1. The 1st two problems aren't too bad. The last one is a pain having to restart the service every time. Anyone know a workaround for that?

marcrblevins
25th May 2008, 11:44 AM
I don't have any problem with Fedora 9 and vmware-server 1.05. I used the vmware 117 patch. Did you load the patch?

dwhitney67
25th May 2008, 10:38 PM
I don't have any problem with Fedora 9 and vmware-server 1.05. I used the vmware 117 patch. Did you load the patch?
Where did you find this patch? The only patches I could find at the vmware site are for the ESX Server.

Seve
25th May 2008, 10:41 PM
Hello:
Here is one link http://download.rsbac.org/tmp/vmware-any-any-update117.tar.gz

There may be others.

Seve

dwhitney67
25th May 2008, 11:24 PM
Seve,

Thanks for the link and for your assistance once again. Btw, I am following this installation guide: http://fedorasolved.org/server-solutions/vmserver-install.

Other than for a few typos in which patch 115 is mentioned and the bad 117 (alpha) patch it calls out, it works like a charm. I used the link you provided to get a working 117 patch.

dwhitney67
25th May 2008, 11:41 PM
Well, the hopes of restoring a saved virtual machine that was created on F8 are now in doubt.

After connecting to the local host, I attempted to "Open a virtual machine" . A pop-up window is displayed, and nothing is listed. When I attempt to "Browse", the pop-window is greyed-out and a file browser is never launched. :confused:

Does anyone have ideas on what is going on? Is there a way to launch vmware from the command line and specify the virtual machine?

marcrblevins
27th May 2008, 05:03 AM
Connect to localhost and then select File/Open, browse from there.

marcrblevins
27th May 2008, 05:06 AM
From Vmware Server Console, connect to localhost, then select File, then Open, select Browse, select your designated directory.

dwhitney67
27th May 2008, 05:13 AM
That's the issue I reported... what you suggested did not work. When I click on the "browse" button, a dialog window never appeared.

No worries though... I found a workaround. I created a new virtual machine, using an "existing" image. Then I removed the contents that vmware created in that new directory and replaced it with the files I originally had from the old virtual machine. Then restarted vmware and all was well. I was able to power-on my virtual machine.